Need advice on keggle building

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Well, I finally got that keg from the local microbrew store that I was promised last Friday, for free. It's a standard keg with a single hole on top. Was told there was a crack in the neck, but when I got it home, it was still under some pressure when I pushed in the big ball. Wondering if it's even cracked at all....I only, and for a long, long time, will be doing extracts with steeping, no time or room for AG setup.
What would be the best way to convert this thing to a keggle? My plan is to go with hop bags so I won't have to worry about using some sort of hopper stopper at the bottom of the keggle. I plan on cutting the lid, then smoothing it out. Which would be the best way to go as far as a weldless drain and temperature guage? I saw a temperature guage on here a while ago that had all the different ranges printed on the thermometer, but I be dogged if I can't find that thread. What would be the best way to put a siphon on it? I've seen some weldless drain valves that use the bulkhead type and then some that have threaded ends on the inside. Since I'm only going to do 5 gallons, how high do I need to put the temperature probe? Seems like 5 gallons won't be very far from the bottom.

IMO, you don't need a temp guage for the kettle. You're just going to boil in it, right?

You could siphon after you chill if you use an immersion chiller, but really the valve is the way to go. You can go with a weldless fitting (http://www.northernbrewer.com/weldless.html). It's easy to add a compression fitting and build a pick-up tube out of copper. I've got that setup in my HLT - really easy. I could post a pic of the HW installed if it would help.

I agree with the above. Just cut the top off for now and use it like you use your current pot. You just have a lot less boil over worries. Chill with the immersion, rack out of it with an autosiphon after whirlpooling. You can always add the bulkheads later. In the case of all grain, the thermo is nice so you can heat to mash/sparge temps. The drain bulkhead is really only an advantage in use of a plate or CFC, and if not, just a minor convenience over siphoning. For extracts, it's really a huge honkin pot for 6 gallon boils.

Orf, I came across an older thread where you had a picture of a weldless setup. Where did you get that?
Also, I plan to steep in it, hence, the temperature guage. Thanks. Does any one know where that tutorial on a keggle went? I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I just can't seem to find it.

Ol' Grog said:
Orf, I came across an older thread where you had a picture of a weldless setup. Where did you get that?
Also, I plan to steep in it, hence, the temperature guage. Thanks. Does any one know where that tutorial on a keggle went? I

I made it from bits at the plumbers merchants. I have it next to me at the moment.:D

Check my link and you'll see it.

ha......
Seriously, has anyone here purchased the setup I'm looking at from Morebeer? 64 bucks seems kind of steep, but it's got everything I'd need and not have to mess around with piece mealing things together. Does that hop stopper work pretty good for the bottom of the Sanke keg? I wouldn't mind saving a buck or two. I know I can get the ball valve a lot cheaper but the other stuff...

Need some help here fellas, ready to order "something," just don't know what. Is that whole set up worth 64 bucks? HELP.....I begging ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ol' Grog, Hop Stopper's work great worth every penny. In my opinion you can mess around making one, but I ordered mine from Innovative Homebrew Solutions and It's the BOMB it stops even the finest pellet hops absoulutely clear wort.:ban:

Ol' Grog said:
ha......
Seriously, has anyone here purchased the setup I'm looking at from Morebeer? 64 bucks seems kind of steep, but it's got everything I'd need and not have to mess around with piece mealing things together. Does that hop stopper work pretty good for the bottom of the Sanke keg? I wouldn't mind saving a buck or two. I know I can get the ball valve a lot cheaper but the other stuff...

I bought two of those. I use one in my MLT, and had one in my kettle (I'm replacing the false bottom with something else). It works great for whole hops, but it won't stop pellet hop particles. I tried to modify it by sewing on some nylon mesh, but the results weren't good to say the least (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=223796#post223796)

There are other ways to stop the hops. Read that thread from the beginning and do a search on hopstopper and bazooka t to get some ideas.

Cheers. :mug:

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with a spigot and arm only. I use a hop bag or hop screen when boiling. Plus, it would seem a lot easier to clean up if using a hop bag.

Back