Calling all nerds!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
Before I get started: Yes, I am well aware of just how dorky, geeky, and lame this is. I am a nerd, hear me snort.

I want to do a series of five high gravity beers based off of the five original heavyweight creatures from Magic: The Gathering

I just need some input from other super-dweebs to see if the beers make sense for their corresponding creatures.

LORD OF THE PIT
26157_1.jpg

He'll be a RIS all the way.

FORCE OF NATURE
26095_1.jpg

A IIPA with focus on super piney hop flavor, middle bitterness for the style.

SHIVAN DRAGON
26237_1.jpg

I'm thinking a dopplebock for this one. Extremely malty and warming.

SERRA ANGEL
26233_1.jpg

An Imperial Wit of sorts. I really don't have much experience with these beers (Sam Adam's being one of the few I've had,) but I think it fits the card pretty well.

LEVIATHAN
10184_1.jpg

This one is the hardest for mew to decide on. A barleywine might get the job done. I dunno.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or am I the only person lame enough to think this is cool??

SHIVAN DRAGON needs to be a Belgian Quad.

LEVIATHAN need to be something oak aged and figgin' huge.

I think any sort of theme beer is cool. You could make a Double Land Light Lager too... ;)

I had all those cards except the LEVIATHAN. Cool idea but I have no real input :p

Man, talk about super nerdy! Not at all cool, like my Star Wars themed brews. ;)

I love it, man! I'm with mmb on the Leviathan - something huge, something aged, something oaked. Great call on the Force of Nature IIPA, BTW. :mug:

I love it. I have not played or seen Magic: The Gathering for years.

I like the first 2 and the fourth. Shivan Dragon: Imperial Red Ale?

Can't figure one out for the Leviathan though. I think it should be something on the lighter (SRM) side.

Yes, you are a dork.but at least you are having fun with it.

I think another beerventure of mine will be Final Fantasy themed. Stoutaga, anyone??

:D

I agree that the Shivan Dragon and Leviathan are the most troublesome. Leviathan will indeed be the biggest of the batch, something hideously high in alcohol and complexity. I like the idea of keeping the SRM a little low.

Shivan Dragon as an Imperial Red of sorts could be sick, but like with the Impy Wits, I don't have much to go off of there. I though a blood red dopplebock could work, but since it is a dragon, something a bit more biting should be in order.

Coolumb!

I think Shivan should be a big West Coast Red, hoppy and ruinous.

Serra should be a wheat wine, Divinely smooth and strong.

I think of Leviathan as an Oak aged Triple. Though I don't have rationale for that.

:note: I only thought the Serra and the Shivan were useful. I never even tried to get the others. I love the Serra though, I had 4 of them in my white/green power deck.

Oddly enough I sold all my Magic cards to buy my first brewery pieces :mug:

Chocobo Chocolate Stout, Aeris Dies Dead Guy Clone, Vicks and Wedge Witbier, I'm totally sold on that idea. :mug:

Not to shamelessly self-promote or anything, but this is a song my band wrote about Aeris' final moments in FFFVII:

This one, however, is the pinnacle of our lame-dom. It's named after Final Fantasy's Leviathan, set to Lord of the Rings battle sequences. This song is what I want my Leviathan beer to taste like. Haha.

There are lyrics to the song, but they haven't been recorded yet. I think it can stand on it's own as an instrumental beast, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright here comes the nerd out of me how about a series of beer based on the lord of the rings,my first beer i made a scottish light ale i named gimli's light ale because he reminds me of a angry scottsman
gimli-lord-of-the-rings.jpg
[/IMG]:mug:

I wish I had not thrown away all my first and second edition cards from back in the day. Those pics brought back some good memories from my childhood. Job well done.

i was totally going to name my beers after stuff in WoW...... but then i thought i'd look like a fool..... glad i'm not alone ! heh heh heh. haven't played in a while. what a timesuck that game is :D

I think:
LORD OF THE PIT
Russian Imperial Stout

I thought this IMMEDIATELY on reading the OP and figured I'd read the thread first, and seems I'm not alone.

Now I think back to the day I retired from Magic, I walked into my favorite card store with all my cards (the ones I had left, I'd sold about $1400 worth of premiums) and I left with $2700 in cash. Felt good. I had roughly $1800 in all those cards so hey, I got to enjoy the game for almost 2 years, and made some profit :ban: nerd? you bet!

Here's my first 2 labeled brews:

DSCF7002.sized.jpg

My kid helped me with the naming.

Ah, Magic. Had a bunch of 2nd edition cards, came home from college and found out my mom sold them at a garage sale for 20 bucks. Oh well. That was a while ago now.

If you do a dopplebock, it would be best to name it after a vesuvian doppleganger, clearly. Other than that, not much to add- I vote some kind of big red ale for the dragon.

My idea for the Imperial Red is based off Goose Island's Red Felt and just take that beer to the next level. Described on the bottle as "A big, hoppy, red ale packed with aroma and flavor from American hops."

Here is a little more information about Red Felt:
Grains: Pale, Carapils, Caramel, and Chocolate
Hops: Cascade, Crystal, and Columbus
ABV: 6%

Maybe if you took the grain/hop combination to the level that you are looking at you would get a nice Imperial Red Ale.

Holy **** this takes me back! I had the leviathan and one of my friends had everything else.

Definitely go with the RIS for the pit lord, and the imperial red for the dragon. The force of nature should be a super hoppy IIPA.

I'm pretty sure I've made the Force of Nature recipe. I wanted to go with a smooth bitterness, but a huge hop flavor, hence all the late additions. That large amount of hops late in the boil should take care of the nose enough for me to not worry about dry hopping. I'm too lazy for it anyway, hah.

Thoughts??

Back