Sweet beer = under ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
My 4 week old beer tastes sweet.

-IPA kit from homebrewheaven + 1lb additional pale powder.
-Pacman yeast
-2 weeks primary
-2 weeks secondary
-racked to corny on 28th day
-forced carb'd.

Details:

All went well during the brew process, but 24hrs later I wasn't seeing bubbling. I noticed the seal of the plastic fermenter wasn't sealed!
I was forced to "emergency transfer" the 1 day old wort to a glass carboy, ensuring adequate sanitation was followed.
That process foamed the beer so badly that I lossed ~1/2 gallon.

Now the beer tastes pretty good, but it's much sweeter than a previous batch using Nottingham yeast.

My worry is that I lossed enough yeast with the overflow foam (emergency transfer) to not allow full conversion of fermentable sugars? Is that possible?

I forgot to take the initial gravity, so that doesn't help.:drunk:

I'm degassing a sample now and trying to get the SG.

Questions:

1) Would the emergency transfer and loss of 1/2gal to foaming cause the yeast population to be reduced to a point that it didn't ferment properly?

2) Does Pacman yeast deliver a sweeter beer than Nottingham?

Well, first of all, there should never be a need for an "emergency transfer", since it doesn't really matter if the lid seals or not. Some people don't even use lids. You can set the lid on loosely, and never see an airlock bubble, and it'll be perfectly fine. But anyway, it's too late now to stop you from transferring!

What's the recipe? If it's underhopped, it'll be sweet no matter what.

Answers:
1. I don't know. I never heard of anybody doing that before, but you probably had enough yeast in suspension to keep fermentation going.

2. No. Pacman is a workhorse, and usually full attenuates.

Fermentation definately happened AFTER infamous emergency transfer-it bubbled vigorously. I just want to know if the possible reduction in initial yeast population could affect attenuation? Hypothetically, it would be like pitching 1/2 the smack pack. What would be expected?

My SG currently 1.012, but it may be slightly carbd still.

The beer is an IPA with full amounts of hops (Diamond Knot IPA kit) It's just much sweeter than the first, identical batch I did prior.

from my recent experience, Under ferment=taste and smell of dead rhino that crawled inside a skunk. If you don't have that, you probably didn't have the "under ferment" that I had.

I don't remember who is the one that came up with that description, but when I read it, I knew that was exactly what it was.

Back