New to kegging questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1200rsvt

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a kegging system and had been looking on NorthernBrewer's website at their keg systems. I also read recommendations on this site to purchase at KegConnection or Midwestsupplies.

NB has a single keg system without CO2 tank for $129.99 (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/draft-systems/five-gallon-keg-system-used-keg.html) plus $82.99 for a 5# tank. So the total before shipping is $212.98.

Midwestsupplies has a dual keg system with CO2 for $199.99 (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=8081). So the total before shipping would be $199.99 AND I would have a two keg setup.

Am I comparing the basically the same thing? Is there a difference in quality of the regulators or anything else that I should be concerned about?

Also, what should I expect with "used" kegs? As someone who has never done anything with a keg before should I buy new at first to get used to keg operation on something that definitely works or am I safe with buying used kegs?

Thanks in advance for the help. :mug:

Used kegs are just fine read a thread or two about rebuilding kegs leaks can occur from time to time get silicone faucet lube from a local hardware store for the gaskets search for a mcmaster carr thread for seal numbers

I purchased the 2 keg system with dual regulator from Midwest and it works great. Came with everything and was easy to hook everything up. Almost everyone uses used kegs because new are very expensive. The kegs I received appeared to have all new gaskets and were sold pressurized to show that they would seal.

The best deal at Midwest used to be 2 kegs with a tank and dual regulator. Dual regulators are nice because you run 2 different pressures. I would call them and ask about availability. That would be Catalog #E8004

Mcmaster-Carr for the seals. A lifetime supply for the price of lunch.

Dip Tube O-Rings 9452K172 Pkg 100/$2.24
Post O-Rings 9452K23 Pkg 100/$2.77
Lid O-Rings 9452K218 Pkg 10/$12.50

This was copied and pasted from an earlier post I found. The price *may* have changed, but I think everything is still the same. :)
-Me

Thanks for the advice, I ordered a dual keg system from Midwest this afternoon. When I called to ask about a dual regulator they said to just order the dual keg system (8081) they currently have available and ask in the comments for an upgrade to the dual regulator and they would do it for an additional $30 - $40. I did that and am waiting to hear back or get a shipping confirmation.

Thanks also for the McMaster-Carr tip, we order from them quite often at work so I will tack it on next time we order.

Back