Motor for HLT stirrer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
I am about to get moving on a stirrer for my HLT. I want to mount a motor on permanently my lid but need help choosing the motor.

What is the ideal RPM for an HLT stirer?

I have looked at some ice cream motors as I have heard of people using them but I would like something that does not look like a cheap plastic ice cream motor which is all I have seen out there.

Also, I would like to have the shaft and prop for the stirrer be out of stainless too. I can get the shaft rather easily (I work in the steel tubing industry.) but I have no clue where to look for a small stainless prop (4-5" diameter?).

Help a brother out...

Although pricey, I like this prop from McMaster-Carr -

8004K421

I would like to cover the fan though with some sort of housing that will still provide adequate ventilation. The motor looks like a perfect fit mechanically but I will want to cover it partially. I don't want it looking like it was cannibalized from something else which is the way it looks in the pics. Nothing wrong with that in most instances but I figure if I am going to spend $100 on a motor and prop to bolt on a $500 HLT I would not want it to look this way.

I will probably have to fabricate this out of stainless sheet and maybe stainless mesh for the top.

Just get a cheap submersible pond pump...it's what i use, alot easier and cheaper than a motor

Just get a cheap submersible pond pump...it's what i use, alot easier and cheaper than a motor

If this was my first setup I would, along with a aquarium pump for O2 infusion prior to fermentation and several other neat items I have seen others use in unorthodox ways for brewing over the years.

I don't mind paying a little extra to get exactly what I want. (I am not Mr. Moneybags, just patient when it comes to these things.) This AC gear motor seems like the perfect start for the stirrer. Also I love fabricating so ease of assembly is not really a selling point.

Thank you for the idea though Rockford!

Latest posts

Back