what's the proper way to test my new rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I have a 30A breaker going to a 50A spa panel, going into a project box, going out to a 120V receptacle and an Auber PID. 5500W element installed in keggle using Kal's weldless method. How do I go about thoroughly testing the wiring/grounding/installation? I have a electric meter and a receptacle tester.

I am not sure you should test it. 5500 watts/120 volts = 45.8 amps. Is your spa panel 220/240 volts? If you use a 240v rated 5500 watt element, running it on 110/120 the heat output wil be less then half.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The PID/SSR is run off 240v, not 120V. I have split the circuits after coming into the project box. 2 hot legs to the SSR/PID/CAMCO circuit, one hot leg going to the 120V receptacle.

Disconnect the camco element and test your unit with a meter set on AC volts in place of the element.

You should be able to observe the PID controlling the SSR and confirm that the SSR is switching on and off.

Once you know your circuitry is functioning, reconnect the element and do a wet run using water in your brewing systems and try to do some temperature regulation.

Ok, I can do that. Is there a safe way for me to artificially induce a ground fault to ensure the spa panel would protect me?

Test it like a battery and stick your toung to it.
:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

just kidding...don't actually do that.(disclaimer)

Ok, I can do that. Is there a safe way for me to artificially induce a ground fault to ensure the spa panel would protect me?

Push the test button on the breaker. Otherwise make up a pigtail with a resistor (like the GFCI kill switch circuits) and touch that between a hot bus and ground.

Back