Things to do with "bad" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavender_Pepper

Reaction score
... not that you'd ever brew any.

Inspired by this thread (What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/whats-worst-craft-brew-commercial-youve-had-357579/ ) , what do y'all do with a beer that you picked up and are just not a fan of?

Mine:
BEER BREAD: mix an approximate ratio of 12 oz beer to 3-3.5 c self rising flour (for every cup of regular flour add 1 heaping tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt) until it has a 'doughy' consistancy. Use your hands. It's ok. Shape into 2 loaves. Bake at 400 till done (~35 min). Voila, fresh bread!!

The important thing is to not *waste* the beer.

1324060629_carrying_20_beers.gif

Condition and clean with it. When you get new silicone tubing, you can smell the chemicals coming off of it, I soak them in bad beer.

I like to give it to 'that guy'. You know him, the expert on everything, he won't say a word about the off-flavors/infection/dead animal floating in his glass, instead he'll talk about how true to style the beer is.

I may be a bad person though.

I like to give it to 'that guy'. You know him, the expert on everything, he won't say a word about the off-flavors/infection/dead animal floating in his glass, instead he'll talk about how true to style the beer is.

I may be a bad person though.

Not *quite* as malicious, but I'll show up at a party with a mix-pack of stuff I'm not a fan of and the host/ess is all "oh wow, thanks for bringing such awesome bottles!" And then they drink it after their first few :tank: and can't tell, but I still have the social capital of showing up w CRAFT BEER OMG! :rockin:

Things to do with "bad" beer..

figure out what you did wrong to make it so "bad", or if you purchased it, don't purchase it again.
thank you

ps that guy dropping all those liter mugs was hilarious, but that poor, poor beer...

I cook with it. I had a 5g batch of a Belgian Wit that didn't turn out (because I totally screwed up the recipe...), and I've been using it for slow cooking kielbasa, beer battered fish, beer soup, etc. I'm almost through the batch, six months on.

If it is a really "bad beer", meaning it is bad for some reason (like an infection), I pour it out.

Beers I brew that are just fine, but I do not like (happens sometimes if I try a new recipe), I put in 2 liter bottles and give away as Christmas presents.

:mug:

I made a really bad blueberry stout. 10lb of blueberries was too much, made it very very wine-like

but ill tell you what, it makes the BEST damn blueberry chocolate chip beer pancakes in the world!!!!!

I've said it before - but just like with wine, if I won't drink it I'm not going to cook with it.

I dump bad beer. Thankfully, I've gotten pretty good and I don't have a lot of misses anymore. :)

I made a really bad blueberry stout. 10lb of blueberries was too much, made it very very wine-like

but ill tell you what, it makes the BEST damn blueberry chocolate chip beer pancakes in the world!!!!!

How long have you let it sit for? I had that issue with a raspberry creme ale, it's a lot like wine... 8 months later and it's a lot better now, I think by the the time it's a year old it may be good.

I give it to my "beer accepting friends" that never seem to return my bottles clean. If the comment on the loq quality of the beer I mention that it must be related to who had the bottle last time it was filled and was it rinsed out well.

We have also had a game called chasing the skunk where I mix this beer in with 5 other good beers in a six pack and everyone picks a bottle and samples one at a time to see who got the skunk. The suspense gets better with each round. Sometimes I even put in 2 bad bottles in case one person finds the skunk early and everyone else thinks they are safe.

How long have you let it sit for? I had that issue with a raspberry creme ale, it's a lot like wine... 8 months later and it's a lot better now, I think by the the time it's a year old it may be good.

just tried one two days ago thinking it may have gotten better. I think i bottled in january or february. Its still really bad.

Latest posts

Back