My OG and FG are the same.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonewall86

Reaction score
I am brewing my 4th batch right now (AHS Kolsch). So when I checked the OG just before I primaried it was 1.040. After a week in primary and another in secondary ( which I am finding out may not be necessary) it is still 1.040. The airlock bubbled for the whole first week, and since I'm still working the whole "attention to detail" thing I didn't notice that the numbers were the same. I went ahead and bottled. So what does this mean for my beer now?

Not possible...unless you forgot to add the yeast...You read either the OG or FG incorrectly.

If your FG was truly at 1.040 you should not have bottled. Yeast does not work on your schedule, it works on its own...

Ya there is a distinct possibility that read it wrong. I for sure added the yeast. Is there any way to recheck the FG now? I mean will I get the same number?

Pop a bottle and take a measurement. It won't be exactly the same but it should give you an idea of where it is. Priming sugar only adds a few points, but you'd hope to see something more in the ballpark of 1010 than 1040.

Alright, I feel like a moron now! I just checked it again and it was 1.016 (and tasted ok too). Sorry to waste everyone's time. Thanks for the help!

Even if you open a bottle and tested it you have added priming sugar so the reading will be or should be different. Also depending on how long its been in the bottle it may have fermented some.

Back