Forgot to flame bottle mouth during bottle harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikkyu

Reaction score
Rookie mistake. I was harvesting some yeast from a Saison Dupont bottle and forgot to sanitize the mouth of the source bottle. I sanitized the neck and cap before opening the bottle. I opened the bottle, poured 80% of the beer in a glass and then immediately poured the rest of the beer into my starter, without flaming the mouth first. So, whats my risk factor for contamination? Everything else was cleaned and then sanitized thoroughly using San-Star.

Well, paranoia got the better of me. Shelled out $10 for two 12 oz bottles of Saison Dupont, cooked up some wort with yeast nutrient and tossed in the dregs after wiping the mouth of the bottle with sanitizer and flaming it. Peace of mind achieved. Now just waiting for growth. Brewday countdown, T minus three days...

Not sure if you knew, but Wyeast 3724 is the Dupont strain.

-chuck
Thanks. I would love to have teh option of getting some quality liquid yeast.However, I live in Yokohama, Japan. No local HBS, just some local internet sites. Only one sells Wyeast or White Labs and I need to order liquid yeast from them several months in advance. That is why I am doing the bottle harvest. Oh, and the yeast plus shipping runs $26.

Well, paranoia got the better of me. Shelled out $10 for two 12 oz bottles of Saison Dupont, cooked up some wort with yeast nutrient and tossed in the dregs after wiping the mouth of the bottle with sanitizer and flaming it. Peace of mind achieved. Now just waiting for growth. Brewday countdown, T minus three days...

yep. this is what i got last time i forgot to sanitize/flame the lip. all other steps were good and sanitary.

4677-dsc00144.jpg

it smells like feet and regret.

Thanks. I would love to have teh option of getting some quality liquid yeast.However, I live in Yokohama, Japan. No local HBS, just some local internet sites. Only one sells Wyeast or White Labs and I need to order liquid yeast from them several months in advance. That is why I am doing the bottle harvest. Oh, and the yeast plus shipping runs $26.

Ah, I'd do the same in that case. Good luck with the culture. Give yourself plenty of time to let it attenuate too. That strain is a notorious long fermenter.

-chuck

Back