Vanilla Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkrew

Reaction score
Ok, I have been searching around the forums for a long time now (my boss must really hate this forum). I am going to bottle my first brew today and have been looking at what to brew next. I think I'm going to go with Northern Brewers Cream Ale Extract kit. I want to do some experimenting with it and maybe add some Vanilla Extract to half the batch.

My plan, and tell me if this wouldn't work, is this:

Brew up the cream ale like I normally would. Ferment it and let condition in primary for 3 weeks.

Then prepare priming sugar for the full 5gal batch and siphon the beer onto it, just like I normally would.

Bottle 2-3gallons of it, and then add appropriate amount of vanilla extract. Bottle remaining beer and let bottle condition.

Does this create an excessive amount of "priming sugar" in the last half of the batch? Or if I use vanilla extract that has no sugar am I good? I'm basically worried about creating bottle bombs here...

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vanilla extract doesn't really have sugar in it - or at least not enough to have an effect on anything. It's basically alcohol and vanillin. Just make sure you use pure vanilla extract. Your procedure sounds just fine to me!

Back