This is pretty sketchy but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been trying to get a lazy friend into brewing for a while now. Over the course of a conversation I suggested to him that, yes, technically he could probably just dump a bit of wine yeast into a jug of Tree Top and he'd make cider....but then he got annoyed with the idea of getting 'complicated equipment', ie: an airlock....oh well.

But as a joke (or maybe not) what would happen if you were to take a jug of Tree Top, pitch in the wine yeast, then cover the top with aluminum foil? Would you actually get something drinkable out of that?

(FYI: I explained that this was almost getting to the 'prison level' of brewing which made for a good chuckle.)

-WW

Balloon, tin foil, etc, anything that keeps airborne yeast, bacteria, spores etc from dropping in while letting CO2 escape works and has been used quite often.
I think your lazy friend would be much happier just drinking your stuff and not having to buy anything. :)
I know I would be.

I did just that a couple of weeks ago, except I used bread yeast we had lying around, and a balloon over the mouth of the jug. It's getting close to finishing, and it already tastes pretty good :) a little bready but that's fine. I was just looking for a "proof of concept" before I invested in the equipment (meaning airlock and ale yeast). Tell your friend to give it a try, it will probably turn out better than he expects!

A lot of guys I know started off doing small batches with a balloon as an airlock. I don't know why it's such a huge deal to spend $5 on a bung and airlock but...

Get him to buy a bottle of Treetop, open it and pitch some Montrachet, cover with a balloon and poke a hole in the balloon with a pin. Kind of ghetto but maybe it'll get him hooked.

latex gloves work well too... BONUS: tape the thumb, index and last two fingers down - and your Yeastie Beasties can give you the bird for being too cheap to buy a a bung and an airlock... ;)

I started using aluminum foil instead of airlocks. This reduces the pressure inside the fermenter which, from what I understand, the yeast appreciate.

OK I'm going to give it a shot. I picked up some juice today, but still have a few questions.

1. I have a few Cooper's yeast packs kicking around. What would be the effect of using them instead of the champagne yeast? If it's risking making a mess then I'll just wait to get down to the LHBS.

2. When using foil to seal the opening, do you just wrap a piece of sanitized foil over the top and then secure with an elastic band? Is it a very tight wrap?

3. The apple juice is pretty close to the top of the jug. Do you need to dump a bit out first to avoid spillover?

Thanks,
WW

The juice itself is the most expensive part!

Montrachet wine yeast is only $1. Hit Ed Wort's Apelwein recipe for the cheapest good stuff around.

Yah, it's not the money it's that I have the juice, foil, sanitizer, and the Cooper's yeast right in front of me and I want to make it NOW! :)

But...I'll wait <kicks sofa>, I guess.

Yah, it's not the money it's that I have the juice, foil, sanitizer, and the Cooper's yeast right in front of me and I want to make it NOW! :)

But...I'll wait <kicks sofa>, I guess.

if you are looking for a Cider that finishes slightly sweet instead of dry, the cooper ale yeast you have should work fine - careful though - some ale yeasts have a tendancy to form a krausen during the peak fermentation - could make a mess if you lack headspace.
I just started an S04 cider yesterday morning - it peaked a little krausen overnight - and then calmed down some it's bubbling away quite happily - it's not nearly as energetic as the EC-1118 I've tried or Montrachet I usually use
but I'm shooting for a slightly sweeter strong cider that I can bottle carb (trying to create somethng that appeals more to SWMBO's palete - she doesn't quite love the dry Apfelwein I create with the montrachet -I love it - but I'm not in this just to please myself.) I think your ghetto foil, with cooper's and a bottle of juice should work OK as is... go for it :)

Latest posts

Back