Lactose Backsweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes

Reaction score
I have several wines and meads that have reached final SG, now bulk ageing.
Some are high in gravity; wondering if backsweetening would enhance their drinkability from later to sooner?

Lactose looks good for avoiding bottle bomb potential - can it be added prior bottling or does it have to be included in the ferment even though it is unfermentable itself?

Does it have any effect on the product - i.e. causes cloudiness so needs extra time to clear?

3 questions; can anyone advise please.
Cheers, petes

" wondering if backsweetening would enhance their drinkability from later to sooner? "
No It wont change how quickly the beer ages. it will just make it sweeter.

"can it be added prior bottling or does it have to be included in the ferment even though it is unfermentable itself?"
Yes you can add it a bottling.

"Does it have any effect on the product - i.e. causes cloudiness so needs extra time to clear?"
No it does not.

For the first question, I would say maybe. Sweetening your brew can definitely make it more drinkable at a younger age. A sweeter finish will take away some of the alcoholic burn and bite. It doesn't make it age quicker by any means, but it can lead to an easier to drink brew.

lapaglia and Tusch, thanks for your responses.
What you said Tusch parallels my thoughts.

Don't wish to hijack ILurvTheWhiskey's thread re 'Getting the wife into the spirit...' but am curious re Freezeblades comment re 'weirdness' and lactose?

Negatives as to using lactose to backsweeten is what I was wanting to hear; does anyone have anything to add?

FWIW have searched out Stevia and it is available here, but, as it is deemed a 'healthy' commodity, it is priced accordingly.
Not that I want to have my cake and eat it too :), but it can be grown here so may be that's the way to go!
Still interested on lactose negatives tho.
Cheers, petes

As an herb, I wonder how easy it would be to grow and subsequently process your own stevia sweetener. And yeah, while I can get it at some regular grocery stores, not just health food, it is overpriced because its new and "natural and healthy"

Sorry to high jack your thread haha, I have not used lactose as I like it dry, but use splenda on occasion for SWMBO.

Edited to add cool info on this site: http://www.stevia.net/growingstevia.htm

Back