&%$#! Enamel pot done for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
So I was using my enamel pot to mix up some sanitizer to bottle my cider today... and I dropped it on the floor with about 2 gallons of water in it. &%$#! And a patch of enamel about 2 square inches spalled off the inside, so now the cast iron is showing.

Does anyone know if it is doomed for brewing now on account of it putting bad metal flavors in my wort? Or should I relax and have a green home brew?

i think you should relax and have a home brew

because that pot is done

I thought I remember reading where you can fix chipped enamel on those kinds of pots. Might be worth doing a google search...

Look on the bright side. If you lost 2 sq in of enamel then that enamel could not have been bonding to the base, and the pot was on it's way out. Now you know the pot is damaged, you won't make a brew with severe metallic off flavors caused by the failing enamel.:D

-a.

ajf said:
Look on the bright side. If you lost 2 sq in of enamel then that enamel could not have been bonding to the base, and the pot was on it's way out. Now you know the pot is damaged, you won't make a brew with severe metallic off flavors caused by the failing enamel.:D

-a.

Good call.

The pot was a brand new Wal-Mart special... I wanted to get a stainless or aluminum pot but it wasn't in the budget last month when I started. I didn't save the reciept (idiot), but I'll probably go with a new aluminum pot. Aluminum is okay right?

I have, ah ahm, 2 aluminum whatchamicallits.
You know, for - ah - boiling - um -something.

Ah, wort were we talking about??

J/K.. AL is fine.. Boil a full pot of water the first time to season it. Don't scrub!!

:mug:

Don't think of it as losing a tun. Think of it as gaining a lauter.

(I know that doesn't make alot of sense, but I thought the homonym was funny)

Levers101 said:
The pot was a brand new Wal-Mart special... I wanted to get a stainless or aluminum pot but it wasn't in the budget last month when I started. I didn't save the reciept (idiot), but I'll probably go with a new aluminum pot. Aluminum is okay right?
Just take it back. They'll give you store credit.

Back