Equipment needed for Mr. Beer 2.5 gal AG batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I've got an old (but still complete) 2.5 gal Mr. Beer kit, as well as everything needed for 5 gallon extract batches. I want to try some 1/2 sized (2.5 gal) All Grain batches as described towards the end of the Mr. Beer sticky in the beginner's forum.

Besides a nylon grain bag and a 2 gallon cooler with spigot, is there anything else that I would in addition to the extract-based equipment that I already have?

As long as your getting crushed grain (obviously you would) that should be about it. Let us know how it goes. Although I am going to have to advice you just get the 5 gallon cooler now because your going to love it and buy one anyways!

As long as your getting crushed grain (obviously you would) that should be about it. Let us know how it goes. Although I am going to have to advice you just get the 5 gallon cooler now because your going to love it and buy one anyways!

That's what I was thinking, but then I'd need a bigger pot for boiling the wort, and probably a wort chiller, etc. This way I can still use my ~3 gallon pot and use the laundry sink filled with ice water to cool the wort. I figure with current equipment plus the 2 gallon cooler I can practice twice for each 5 gallon ingredient kit.

all I used, as you can see by the pictures was a 2 gallon cooler, folding steamer, grainbag, rubber band and a pot large enough to boil approximately 3-3.5 gallons down to 2.5. A funnel and a strainer is a good idea, it will help keep the gunk from the bottom of the kettle out of your fermenter...The rest of the stuff you would use is standard brewing equipment...i.e. a hydrometer.

Ut oh, I wonder if my pot will be large enough for that. I think it's only around 3 gallons total.

I did one in a 3 gallon pot. I used 1 gallon for mashing, 1.5 gallons for sparge, and topped off to 2.5 gallons in the fermenter.

I'm thinking of doing a double IPA in the Mr Beer for winter. That way, the hops won't require me to sell jewelry or take out a loan at the bank. :D

- Eric

Back