Co2 filled in MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdole

Reaction score
Howdy all! Did a search and didnt turn up much...I'm new to kegging...Just curious to see where you guys all get your tanks filled at/how much/if its a swap or fill? Figured we could all benefit :)

Moved in from Kansas, did we? ;)

Are you really in Boston, or out in a suburb? If you pin down where you're at I bet someone will hit you up with their go-to gas dealer.

fwiw, I get my C02 tanks exchanged at my LHBS (Strange Brew in Marlboro) but in addition to Golddiggies' list you can add another AirGas at 1 Plank Street,
Billerica, MA 01821-5726. I get my O2 tank and welding tanks swapped there...

Cheers!

I live in Concord and use Keane Fire And Safety Equipment Co.
1500 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02451 781-899-6565

reasonable prices, I drop off in morning, my wife picks up at lunch.

I live in Concord and use Keane Fire And Safety Equipment Co.
1500 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02451 781-899-6565

reasonable prices, I drop off in morning, my wife picks up at lunch.

I live in Waltham, this place is great. Friendly service and good hours if you work a 9 to 5 (open at 6:30 or 7 I think).

Not much info on the interwebs but Golddiggie sent out this link:

http://www.bfd.org/CO2_fill.htm

I normally do NFG Homebrew just because they're good people.

You get yours there? They are good people. And they have a nice store there, upstairs. (They still upstairs?)

I moved to the Shires, so I no longer go there, but it used to be a great place to pick up what you needed and say hi.

$10 to fill a 5lb tank at:

Gorham Fire Appliance Co.
288 Willard St Quincy, MA 02169
(617) 472-5785

Also try here:

Dental, Medical, and Industrial Gas Co.
21 Wolcott Ct.
Readville,Ma. 02136
(617) 361-4600

I'm south of Boston, I get mine filled at new bedford welding supply.
There's a place in weymouth on 1a just past the fore river bridge, or you could just search for welding supply in your area

I go to Igo's and have my 5lb CO2 tank filled. They don't swap it out.

Yup. When I was first setting up my system I called around to price things out, Igo's said they filled. They were a little pricier than Keane Fire in Waltham, but they could fill while you wait. Keane fire is closer to me and has better hours though, so I don't mind dropping off then picking up.

hmmm well maybe they changed things since I called them. That was almost a year ago.

Arco Welding in Malden fills CO2 tanks.

Putting this in to the thread because it seems that the Boston Wort processors link is no longer valid. We need an archive of locations...

I went down to Gorham in Quincy last time but most of the time I have just been bottling.

I ended up going to ARCO welding supply in Malden. For 18 bucks I got a filled 5lb tank and an attitude. Might be hard to go back, but they do have the product and no waiting (almost)

$18?! prices have gone up apparently. Last time I think it was $12

I've gone to both Arco and Igo's.

Igo's never checks to see if the tank is in test. Arco almost always does.

I go to MaineOxy in Milford. They swap out tanks. One thing I like about them is if you want to swap out a 5# tank for a 10# (or 20#) tank they'll give you full credit for the value of the 5# tanks (just pay the difference in price between the two tanks). They also deal in 5# oxygen tanks.

Gorham here too. $10 for a 5lb. You can get a used tank full for $55 I think, good option for a back up.

I ended up going to ARCO welding supply in Malden. For 18 bucks I got a filled 5lb tank and an attitude. Might be hard to go back, but they do have the product and no waiting (almost)

BeerGrylls,

That was my experience when I went to ARCO as well. If you can get up to Gloucester easily, try Speedway Welding. Call first to confirm, and they'll fill while you wait. $17/5g. Nice folks.

I called Strange Brew in Marlborough yesterday and thought I would report what I found for the betterment of beermanity. Their exchange program requires a "buy in" with the purchase of a full 5lb tank for $130, and then the cost for a swap is always $5 cheaper than the general rate. The current 5 lb exchange rates are $20 if you're in the program and $25 otherwise.

A new, full 5 lb tank is $100 without buying into the exchange program.

I also checked with Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge last week and they were charging $100 for a 5 lb tank, and ~$26 for an exchange. I think it was $26.95, but I can't remember exactly.

I called Strange Brew in Marlborough yesterday and thought I would report what I found for the betterment of beermanity. Their exchange program requires a "buy in" with the purchase of a full 5lb tank for $130, and then the cost for a swap is always $5 cheaper than the general rate. The current 5 lb exchange rates are $20 if you're in the program and $25 otherwise.

A new, full 5 lb tank is $100 without buying into the exchange program.

I also checked with Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge last week and they were charging $100 for a 5 lb tank, and ~$26 for an exchange. I think it was $26.95, but I can't remember exactly.

If you're in Waltham just go to Keane Fire. Super nice guys and convenient hours, they open at 6 or 7AM or something. They don't fill while you wait, but their prices are reasonable for this area. My 10 lb tank is about $20-25 to fill.

If you're in Waltham just go to Keane Fire. Super nice guys and convenient hours, they open at 6 or 7AM or something. They don't fill while you wait, but their prices are reasonable for this area. My 10 lb tank is about $20-25 to fill.

I found out that Boston Fire Extinguisher in Lynn will do fills. $20 while you wait, only $10 if you go back the next day. And speedway in Gloucester was a good tip. Easy to get to, and good people.

Wow that's a great price for sure. Considering I live in Somerville and work in Waltham/Newton, so many of these places are just way out of my way and not worth it. :(

I suggested Keane Fire to majoragee just because it's in Waltham and so is he!

I live in Waltham, this place is great. Friendly service and good hours if you work a 9 to 5 (open at 6:30 or 7 I think).

Just to clarify, Keane in Waltham is open 7-4 M-F. very convenient for me.

I've been using them for about 2 years now. Could not be happier with their service. Friendly.

just gonna throw this out here in this post. Anyone want to swap a 5lb co2 tank for my 7lb? Mine won't fit in my new kegerator. It's tall and skinny and perfect for a keezer.

A few more options for S. NH and Mass.

Billerica MA
AirGas: tank swaps only 20lb - $47.27

Nashua NH
Jaspers Homebrew
20lb tank swap - $39
also does 5lb swaps.. no info on price

Adding this in as well for the Beer gas/Stout tap people....

Strange Brew in Marlboro fills 5lb Co2 tanks with Beer Gas 75%/25% for $35

Went to Air Gas in Salem, NH as well as Granite Industrial Gasses, and they wouldn't fill my Co2 tank with Beer Gas.

I think these people are just lazy to put an adapter on to fill the Nitrogen portion. They both gave me lip service about the higher pressures...blah blah blah, when in fact a Co2 aluminum tank can hold Beer Gas fine. Plus a Taprite regulator is good up to 3,000 psi, so there should't be any issues.

Back