Austin Homebrew Supply Indian Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed this before? Since AHS doesn't post their recipes online I'm not going to post this either but, if anyone has brewed it I'd like your opinion on their hops schedule. I will say that the 5 gallon recipe only contains 2 oz of hops. 1oz of a high AA bittering hop and 1 oz of aroma hop and that is it. Just seems to call it "Indian" it would be hopped considerably more than what they've given me. I would have atleast expected some flavor hops and/or dry hops in this recipe.

Maybe the Indians didn't like it as hoppy as the people in India?

Ok. Bad joke. I don't have a clue. What do the ibu's come to?

IBU's are 59.6
OG is 1.070
Planning on doubling this recipe up this weekend but these hops additions are scaring me.

Anyone ever brewed this kit before?

Never brewed this particular recipe, but have had great success with many others from AHS.

I have also found them to be very responsive to questions, so if you have concerns then drop 'em an email.

That seems like a lot of IBU's for a brown ale. English brown ales are 10-30 IBU's American brown ales are 20-40 ibu's. Most people, my wife included, drink brown ale's for the malt. She would kill me if I gave her that recipe and said it was a brown ale.

That seems like a lot of IBU's for a brown ale. English brown ales are 10-30 IBU's American brown ales are 20-40 ibu's. Most people, my wife included, drink brown ale's for the malt. She would kill me if I gave her that recipe and said it was a brown ale.

Yeah, but this is a Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale clone. It's basically a brown IPA. Not intended to be a "brown ale"

AHS did reply back to me and confirmed that this is still the recipe they are using so I'm going to go ahead with it this weekend.

I am going to brew this kit this weekend. What did you guys think of the beer?

Latest posts

Back