Amer Chem Society Brewing Webinar 15-March

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://acswebinars.org/bamforth2012

“More Advanced Beer and Brewing –Tips, Tricks, and Tidbits You Wish You Knew” A short presentation followed by Q&A with Charles Bamforth, Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Malting & Brewing Sciences at UC Davis.

What You Will Learn
■Why malt makes such a difference for beer and how brewers secure the best malt
■Why “adjunct” is usually not a dirty word.
■How to achieve product diversity with hop materials
■When and why yeast makes a difference
■How water is acquired, conserved and replenished
■And much more…

Webinar Details

Date: Thursday, March 15, 2012

Time: 2:00-3:00 pm ET

Fee: Free

Meet Your Expert

Dr. Charlie Bamforth is Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Malting & Brewing Sciences at UC Davis. He has been part of the brewing industry for over thirty two years and was formerly Deputy Director-General of Brewing Research International and Research Manager and Quality Assurance Manager of Bass Brewers. He is a Special Professor in the School of Biosciences at the University of Nottingham, England and was previously Visiting Professor of Brewing at Heriot-Watt University in Scotland. Charlie is a Fellow of the Institute of Brewing & Distilling, Fellow of the Society of Biology and Fellow of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology. Bamforth is Editor in Chief of the Journal of the American Society of Brewing Chemists, is on the editorial boards of several other journals and has published innumerable papers, articles and books on beer and brewing – and also written prolifically on soccer. His latest contributions have been The Brewmaster’s Art (A 7-CD recording in The Modern Scholar series) and Beer is Proof God Loves Us: Reaching for the Soul of Beer and Brewing (FT Press).

Dr. Steve Carlo is a PhD physical chemist who manages the Technical Services Division at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. He has over 10 years experience in technology transfer and technical management with TreMonti Consulting and research and development with Mitsubishi Chemical America and Avon cosmetics. Steve has received several R&D awards and has been granted 3 US patents, with 2 US and 2 WIPO filings pending in the general areas of non-linear optics and personal care. Among his many hobbies, he enjoys brewing his own English style ale, SCUBA, yoga and being with his family.

I was on it, but it was pretty basic. The q/a portion was more informative than the presentation I thought.

It will be posted to their website in a week or two for anyone who missed it but is interested. I'll post a link when that happens.

Agree with the poster above that the Q&A was maybe the best part. I'll post some of them when I get a chance.

Last question for Dr. Bamforth was a request for a tip for homebrewers. His response was along the lines of "I wouldn't try brain surgery at home either." Amusing but a tad offensive to homebrewers. After reflecting for a second he said the three most important things for homebrewers are hygiene, hygiene, and...hygiene.

Back