Effects of letting plastic and glass sit in PBW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
So since we've had a kid, my brewing time has been drastically cut down. So when I brew, I only have like half a day, and that is all the time I can do anything for a week to two weeks. So the last time I was transfering some beer from the primary to the keg, it was getting late, so I let the glass carboy and the plastic high temp hose (was using it for a blow off tube) and the airlocks just soak in some normal strength PBW and I would get around to cleaning it the next night. Well, that was about a week and a half ago, and now I'm wondering if I'll have to buy some new hose and plastics. The glass I'm not too worried about, unless I should be, but I've heard PBW can deteriorate plastic and rubber if left to soak. Now I plan to rinse all items in very hot water to get rid of the slime that PBW leaves, but is it too late after 1-2 weeks sitting in PBW. By the way, the strength was 1/2 cup per 5 gallons. Now that I think of it, I should have just let it soak in plain water, and then used PBW when I was ready, but oh well. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

I don't think it is harmful. Certainly not to glass, which is about as inert as anything gets. If it destroys plastic I'd love to hear about it since I routinely leave PBW inside hoses and plastic carboys for weeks and I don't want to be destroying my gear or health!

I did the same thing once. I had to replace my tubing because it turned it all an nasty white that wouldn't come off, but my fermentor was fine.

Back