Corny keg air leak... ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jett78

Reaction score
The first time I kegged, all my CO2 leaked out in a little over a week. So I got a new bottle of CO2 for this time around and before I keg this one, I hooked up the corny keg full of sanitzed water to see if I can find a leak.

Got it hooked up, opened up the CO2 and sprayed some soapy water around the top. I get bubbles until around the fill area until the pressure inside maxes out. So, first question, is it normal for it to come out that much? Or should the seal be better in the first place?

After a pour a test it will also start to bubble where I sprayed it, until the pressure maxes out again. Now, is that normal?

What else should I be doing to try to check it or to fix it?

This keg is a refurbised that I got from MoreBeer that had new seals.

try some keg lube on the o-rings.
this helped my kegs to seal and stay sealed
if you don't have keg lube, white petroleum jelly(vaseline) or KY jelly will work.

You need a new O-ring. Get a couple of O-ring kits, you never know when you will need one. The lube will help, maybe even save you this time. But the keg needs a new O-ring.

I'll grab a new o-ring tomorrow and hold off my kegging till tomorrow night..

Thanks

BTW, how would that "Yours-Mine" activating KY Jelly work? .... j/k

+1 to all that has been said.

It is also possible the lid or the keg is bent. As a real quick check, sit the lid on a flat surface and see if it touches all the way around or if it rocks at all. I'd also inspect the the keg to see if the opening appears to be straight.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back