More trub in all grain batch vs. extract batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basisforaday

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain batch a few weeks ago and I transferred to a keg today. I noticed that I have a lot more trub at the bottom of my fermenter than I did with any of my extract batches. I might just be a n00b but is this just how it is with all grain batches?

It's really going to depend on your recipe and how well you kept the "extras" out of the fermenter when you transfered from your brew pot. It's nothing to worry about. Your LHBS probably carries a fine net that you can use when dumping into the fermenter that does a good job of keeping all the goods out, although it can be a pain to get it to drain.

Are you wondering about the clarity of the beer? If so there are a few thing to help with getting clearer beer (mostly it's an issue of appearance, though in some cases it can lead to flavors that you may not want in certain styles):

Make sure to have a get a really vigorous boil during your brew, and chill it as quickly as possible afterwards to yeast-pitching temperature. At the 15-minute mark for your end of boil you can toss in a teaspoon of Irish Moss which should help, too. But yeah, I suppose you should find more trub at the bottom of your fermentor... you're introducing the possibility for more particulate matter with AG brewing vs. extract. I could be wrong about that though.

I wouldn't beer surprised if there is more trub in an AG brew than extract. Much of the hot break has already been taken out of extract. You are probably using a wort chiller with your AG brew, something maybe you weren't using with the extract brews. A chiller will precipitate cold break.

Are you wondering about the clarity of the beer? If so there are a few thing to help with getting clearer beer (mostly it's an issue of appearance, though in some cases it can lead to flavors that you may not want in certain styles):

Make sure to have a get a really vigorous boil during your brew, and chill it as quickly as possible afterwards to yeast-pitching temperature. At the 15-minute mark for your end of boil you can toss in a teaspoon of Irish Moss which should help, too. But yeah, I suppose you should find more trub at the bottom of your fermentor... you're introducing the possibility for more particulate matter with AG brewing vs. extract. I could be wrong about that though.

Nope, not worried about the clarity at all. This beer is very clear but I did lose some volume from the trub and came out with a little under 5 gal of beer. Not much under but slightly. Guess I just need to account for that next time.

I've found that an AG batch will have more trub, but if you give it enough time it compacts.

You didn't really tell us a lot about your AG process, so I'm not sure if you're doing these things or not. Nevertheless, the two things I'd recommend are: 1) Like SnallyGaster said, add some Irish Moss or a Whirlfloc tablet to your boil for the last 10 or 15 minutes, and 2) Work very hard on your vorlaufing to set your mash & keep out all the chunky stuff that comes out with the first gallon or so of sparging.

Back