adding brown sugar to porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyPBar

Reaction score
hey guys,
i have a canned porter kit,(didn't realize it was just cans when i bought it) the lhbs lady really sold me on it. i am wanting to raise abv and was thinking of adding brown sugar to it. maybe about 1lb? has anyone else used brown sugar and had good results or should i just use table sugar?

Dude, be careful. Maybe add half a pound. Just my opinion, but sugar thins out a beer too much and brown sugar flavor is strong. I have tried it many times, and on a few different styles.

Sounds good to me, the brown sugar should add some delicious.

However I wouldn't add it just for an ABV% boost. I would fear it throwing off the GU:IBU ratio and ending up with something unbalanced. Personally I'd just wait to brew the recipe again and make it stronger, also adding the additional hops to make it balanced.

Just for s**ts and giggles, if your OG was 1.060 then adding 1.0lb of brown sugar will get you roughly to 1.069.

thanks for the input guys. i think i will go ahead and just do half a pound and see how it turns out. lol probably the main reason i am doing it is to just give me something to do. the first three batches i did were all partial mash, so two cans of extract and a packet of yeast just doesn't really feel like i am brewing. thanks again. i will post in a few weeks and let you know how it turns out! :mug:

You should easily be able to add upwards of 20% sugar to the beer without drying it out to much. 1lb would be about as much as I'd go with (assuming 5 gallon batch), but it should take 1lb without much difficulty.

Back