In search of cheap buckets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooom101

Reaction score
In my month long search for fermentation containers I have procured quite a few 2.5 gallon, 3 gallon, 4 gallon, and 5 gallon buckets. I've gotten most of these from a local bakery that sells them for $1.50 each with the lid. I've been using the 5 gallon buckets as fermenters up to this point but am tired of having to convert every recipe I make to a 4 gallon recipe.

Hence, my search for cheap 6.5 and 7 gallon buckets. I've read a few threads about this before. Most suggest asking local bakerys and various businesses for their unused buckets. This works great, if you're looking for 5 gallon buckets. It is frustrating to try to explain to someone what a 6.5 or 7 gallon bucket is. Most people view ALL buckets as 5 gallon buckets.

This brings me to my first question. Are there any industries or businesses that use solely 6.5 or 7 gallon buckets? About 5 years ago you could get aquarium salt in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I don't think they do that anymore.

Second question: I've found this site. 6 & 7 Gallon Buckets - US Plastic Corporation If I ordered a single 7 gallon bucket from them it would be cheaper than buying it from my local LHBS even factoring in shipping. It would be a LOT cheaper if I ordered more than one. Has anyone ever used this site? Are these buckets ok to use for fermenting?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Billy

I order from UPS Plastic. Their buckets are fine for our use.

I prefer morebeer.com buckets because they are translucent and have volume markings on them. Their lid design changed for the better recently too.

Thanks for the advice. Those are the best prices I've seen on buckets from a homebrew supplier!

Back