Beer Chugging Friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
How fast does a 5 gal corny last with your friends? My kegerator has or had 4 kegs in it, the first two went online about two months ago and the third about a month ago. The fourth just got carbed up this week, and already the third keg is empty. I intentionally made the hefeweizen to go in it for mass consumption, but man did it go fast. The other 2, my bitter and smoked porter have really only been drank by me, although they are probably getting low by now. The fourth keg, the blonde, will probably go as fast. When the hefe went dry they immediately went for the blonde next. I'm going to have to speed up the brew schedule pretty soon.

You assume I have friends...

I remind you, I am a minister, so people don't tend to come to me looking to suck down the suds! So it is just me and my little friend Liver.

Brewpastor said:
You assume I have friends...

I remind you, I am a minister, so people don't tend to come to me looking to suck down the suds! So it is just me and my little friend Liver.

I am assuming that you are not kidding about the minister part . . .that is really interesting!! The LHBS that I used to go to enjoyed a customer who was a Catholic Priest; obviously, I was not overly surprised to see him as a homebrewer.

What denomination do you practice? I find this very interesting, because most men of faith would hesitate to enjoy such a hobby because of the public's (mis)perceptions of its nature. Another question - how public do you make your hobby in the community in which you preach/minister/etc.?

I am a Presbyterian minister, ordained for 20 years. It is pretty well known by mtycongregation that I brew beer because I ran a large micro in town for about 10 years and was in the press now and again. I don't hide it, nor do I push it onto people. I simply try to be honest about the fact that I really love making beer. So far it has not caused me any problems. I even made a commercial beer to celebrate a meeting of the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s national General Assembly that was held in New Mexico. I still run into people who know me as the guy who made that beer. The sad thing is it was a wheat beer, and I hate wheat beers.

Corny kegs only hold 2 1/2 cases of beer. Think of it that way and you can plan better.

I brew 10% beer and keep a corny full for just those events. When Beer mongers come over, I serve them a few 10% beers. Then they don't drink too much of the other stuff.

I guess my friend liver must be getting tired of me. I go through 2 corneys a month and I'm pretty much the only one drinking. A couple of my friends like my HB but most are BMC folk.

I don't mind, part of the reason for building the kegerator in the first place was to have the friends over. It's just that a few people having 2 pints each can add up fast. I'm putting another hefeweizen on the list soon.

2nd Street Brewery said:
A couple of my friends like my HB but most are BMC folk.
That's why my bitter and smoked porter are still around. I did make the hefeweizen and the blonde more for their tastes, and it looks like I was right on!

Brewpastor said:
I am a Presbyterian minister, ordained for 20 years. It is pretty well known by mtycongregation that I brew beer because I ran a large micro in town for about 10 years and was in the press now and again. I don't hide it, nor do I push it onto people. I simply try to be honest about the fact that I really love making beer. So far it has not caused me any problems. I even made a commercial beer to celebrate a meeting of the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s national General Assembly that was held in New Mexico. I still run into people who know me as the guy who made that beer. The sad thing is it was a wheat beer, and I hate wheat beers.

That's awesome! I thought my wife and I were very happy at our church home, but I just realized that I want to come to your church!!! :p :mug:

Back