Timing - Newbie question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I am planning on starting to make my first gallon of DRINKABLE cider in 2 weeks time. I have read so many different methods to making cider that I am beginning to get confused & bamboozled!
I am planning to juice my own apples.
Would my steps below be the correct sequence? I'd appreciate any input at this time!
1. Juice apples, check OG & pasturise
2. Add sugar syrup to increase to SG if required
3. Add 1 Campden tablet & leave 12 hours
4. Add pectic enzyme (How long do I need to leave this before doing the next step?)
5. Add yeast nutrient & yeast (Lavlin EC1118). (do I need to increase the temperature of the liquid before I pitch the yeast? - room temperature will be about 20degC)
6. Stir & put on airlock.

All further steps I will enquire about as required, but I feel that I need some confirmation on these ones to set me off in the right direction.

Welcome to HBT!

Looks like a sound plan to me. I have a question about pasteurizing. How and why are you planning that? You do not want to heat your juice or the pectin will set and you'll have apple jelly. Just use the campden and call it good.

I would put the pectin enzyme in at the same time as the campden tablet. I don't think you have to wait with enzyme but you might as well have it in there while you're waiting for the campden.

Pitching your yeast at room temperature is fine.

I would not add the pectin enzyme and campden at the same time. sulfites can affect the efficency of pectin enzyme. I'd be safe and wait 12 hours after adding the campden.

Likewise, as nurmey said, you do nort have to heat pastuerize the cider, the campden does that. What strikes me is that you want a drinkable cider in two weeks. Good cider takes time. I don't think two weeks is going to be enough.

Thankyou everyone for your advice!
RugenBrau - I don't want to make a drinkable cider within 2 weeks. I want to start the process of making cider then (after the 13th January I think).
I have already made a cider in 2 weeks & it was undrinkable. Now I want to make a cider that IS drinkable & I know now that it's going to take a lot longer than 2 weeks.

I do have one question!

How long to I leave the pectic enzyme before I pitch the yeast?

I like to wait about 12 hours between the pectic enzyme and the yeast additions. That will be sufficient. I usually add the campden at mixing, wait 12 hours and add the enzyme, then wait 12 hours and add the yeast.

Sorry that I misunderstood you. You did get me to thinking and when I got home I checked a 5 gallon batch that I put up 16 days ago. The gravity was 1.054 at the start. I decided to experiment and did not add any sugar then pitched Safale S 04. Tonight the gravity was 1.030 which, off the top of my head is somewhere between 3 and 4 percent. I was surprised how great it tasted. Again it was verrrry sweet. I took a couple of 1.5 liters down to the bar and everyone loved it. (Of course I told them that it was 7 %). So maybe it can be done in 2-3 weeks. Cider has a mind of its own

Thanks everyone!
I should be looking forward to my vacation, but in truth, I'm looking forward to coming back so I can make cider!

Back