PS3 and PSP combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
How many people here have a PS3 and a PSP? I'm just wondering because I love the combo and am wondering how you use them together to increase the functionality of both

Well, I have a PS3, and my oldest son has a PSP, but we haven't really gotten into using them together. Let me know what you find out :D

I have used the remote play on it, where by I can turn on the PS3 from the PSP, watch videos and listen to music over wi-fi, backup all of my saved game data on the PS3 to the PSP....surf the web...etc, etc, etc, but I'm sure there is more that I am missing out on

Flame War!

While I do think that the PSP to PS3 interface is interesting, their choice of bluetooth limits the PS3's integration with the rest of my AV equipment. For example, I can't use it with my Logitech Harmony.

With that said, I have a PS3 and it's crap. The graphics are circa 2004 (my PC has much much better graphics) and the sound isn't great either. It also makes a really poor blue ray player.

Flame War!

While I do think that the PSP to PS3 interface is interesting, their choice of bluetooth limits the PS3's integration with the rest of my AV equipment. For example, I can't use it with my Logitech Harmony.

With that said, I have a PS3 and it's crap. The graphics are circa 2004 (my PC has much much better graphics) and the sound isn't great either. It also makes a really poor blue ray player.

PS3 graphics crap? I'd say it's very comparible to the 360 and it should get even better as designers take more advantage of it down the road. PC's usually always have better graphics, but for a console, it's pretty damn good.

Bad as blu-ray player? In general, i think it's considered one of the best blu-ray players on the market. Also does a great job of upconverting old dvd's.

This is probably the first time I've heard this from someone:confused:

I'll agree with you on the Bluetooth though. I'd like to have one remote to control everything. And I still prefer my 360 for gaming.

I have both a PSP and a PS3. I just recently got the remote play thing working.

What I love is I can play my entire itunes library from anywhere on the planet as long as I have wi-fi. I haven't played games or anythign remotely....but the music things really kicks ass. It is so weird seeing the exact PS3 menu layout on my PSP from hundreds of miles away. Just seems almost...scary.

And I'll second the blu-ray player for the PS3 not being a POS...it is one of the best on the market right now.

I don't know, I'd rather just have the $25 BT remote sitting on the table instead of the $55 IR2BT.

Same here... but for the folks that swear by Harmony remotes to do everything for them - at least there is an option. My guess is the next generation of Harmony will include a model with bluetooth built in for the PS3.

Same here... but for the folks that swear by Harmony remotes to do everything for them - at least there is an option. My guess is the next generation of Harmony will include a model with bluetooth built in for the PS3.

I'm thinking so as well.

For now i'll just leave all my 20 remotes laying around:drunk:

Flame War!

You're blind. Circa 2004 was the PS2/Xbox, and there's simply no comparison between those and the PS3/360. You are probably using between a 12"-26" LCD for your PC. With the smaller screen, all the rows and pixels are compressed, and of course it looks better. When you put the same image on a 46" (family room type tv) screen, there's gonna be a rougher picture. That doesn't mean the PS3 is crap. You might also consider running your PS3 optically through a home theatre system....it's frickin' scary that way. As for the Blu-Ray player, it's actually upgradeable unlike some of the separate units you might buy. FWIW, I've searched all the PS3/XBOX360 forums, and the vast majority of what you'll find is a bunch of teenagers who were *fortunate* enough to have their parents buy them either one of the consoles (in spite of shootings outside of stores at the holidays) and are *allowed* to spend their idle time playing them.

At worst, the PS3 is equal to the XBOX...and...even if it were an inferior system...I'd still be happy playing it because the difference is nominal ;)

But...then again, you might've written your post with intentions of starting some kind of flame war, and I probably just wasted my time :(

Logitech just released a mini-bluetooth keyboard for the PS3. This might be worth checking out.

I am very frustrated that the PS3 couldn't have added a 30 cent IR port. I bet one in a million there is one on the board hidden somewhere.

I have already had to replace my hard drive, probably 10% of my blue-ray and DVD's give me playback trouble (cause the PS3 to say "cannot play disc" or whatever). My buddy owns a high-end stereo installation company and he has all the great toys, including several blue ray players. The stand alone players offer much better playback and sound quality, plus a bunch more connectivity, and IR remotes.

Check out the Denon

You're blind. Circa 2004 was the PS2/Xbox, and there's simply no comparison between those and the PS3/360. You are probably using between a 12"-26" LCD for your PC. With the smaller screen, all the rows and pixels are compressed, and of course it looks better. When you put the same image on a 46" (family room type tv) screen, there's gonna be a rougher picture. That doesn't mean the PS3 is crap. You might also consider running your PS3 optically through a home theatre system....it's frickin' scary that way. As for the Blu-Ray player, it's actually upgradeable unlike some of the separate units you might buy. FWIW, I've searched all the PS3/XBOX360 forums, and the vast majority of what you'll find is a bunch of teenagers who were *fortunate* enough to have their parents buy them either one of the consoles (in spite of shootings outside of stores at the holidays) and are *allowed* to spend their idle time playing them.

At worst, the PS3 is equal to the XBOX...and...even if it were an inferior system...I'd still be happy playing it because the difference is nominal ;)

But...then again, you might've written your post with intentions of starting some kind of flame war, and I probably just wasted my time :(

I have a 30" HANNS-G LCD and a 24" Gateway LCD (basically a samsung). I have both the 360 and the PS3. To be fair, I don't think that either system is better, just not as good as my PC.

You are correct - I am a bit bitter that piracy as destroyed PC gaming. Also you can't help that the PC's cost 2 to 3 times as much. However, you can't write a paper on a PS3 so you have to have a PC anyhow!

Sports games are the only worthwhile reason for console platforms. And maybe mario.

I have both a PSP and a PS3. I just recently got the remote play thing working.

What I love is I can play my entire itunes library from anywhere on the planet as long as I have wi-fi. I haven't played games or anythign remotely....but the music things really kicks ass. It is so weird seeing the exact PS3 menu layout on my PSP from hundreds of miles away. Just seems almost...scary.

And I'll second the blu-ray player for the PS3 not being a POS...it is one of the best on the market right now.

umm.....how do you get that to work? More specifically, playing your iTunes on your PS3?

However, you can't write a paper on a PS3 so you have to have a PC anyhow!

Yes you can! (I haven't gotten that far yet, but Linux can run on the PS3)

And I'll be honest...I can't use this with my PS3 due to no IR port:
http://www.rticorp.com/products/T3.html
scl21.PNG

I look at the PS3 as either a really good gaming system with a free bluray player or vice versa. $399 is a great price for either purpose and it's just gravy if you happen to do both. How many standalone blueray players let you stream video/audio off your wifi network?

Back