Adding Carapils for body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
When using carapils for body and head retention, what amount am I shooting for in a 5 gallon recipe? I brewed my porter, and next time I might add some carapils for some extra body. I also just want to know in general so when I formulate recipes I can add some in if I feel it needs it. Thanks!

Jason

You'll start seeing a significant impact at any amount over 1/2 lb, and up to a pound is fine. If you're tempted to use more than that, try and get a little more creative with the recipe.

Try mashing a little higher and using wheat instead. I have slowly worked Carapils out of my brewery, as I feel my beers just don't need it anymore. When I was using it I would add 1# for every 5 gals.

Gabe said:
Try mashing a little higher and using wheat instead. I have slowly worked Carapils out of my brewery, as I feel my beers just don't need it anymore. When I was using it I would add 1# for every 5 gals.

Ok I get that...so the Carapils is mainly adding the same type of body that you would expect from mashing higher and getting more unfermentables? And why the wheat?

Jason

The Wheat does almost the same thing Carapils does, I just prefer using wheat over CP. I have found that wheat keeps a better head on the beer and seems to just add more body and flavor to the beer. Use 1-1.5# of wheat per 5 gal. Try a few batches with CP and take notes. Then do a few with wheat and experiment. Soon you will get to the point where you know which is the go to grain. Eventually you will ace them both and just learn to brew a good beer with a good head and great body!(Not that you don't now, but you know what I mean.)
Cheers and have fun, Gabe

Back