Grain to Glass Video (15 gallon batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premnasbiaculeatus

Reaction score
I condensed 5-6 weeks of brewing into a 19 minute video. I start with the mash and end with a pint of beer. Just thought I would share my my very cheaply improvised brew setup. I've got a no strike/ no sparge mash system I built for pennies that gets me efficiencies in the 70 - 80% range. I brew 15 gallons per batch and keep enough beer racked and kegged at all times that I never run out.

PS: I know my setup is a little shabby, so be kind. My primary brewing intention is to be as cheap and technically unconventional as possible, and still make drinkable beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in complete love with your set up! I'm going to use that idea and step it down to 10 gallon batches (Hopefully you don't mind). What size heating element did you use?

Really nice video! I do only extract right now, but eventually will get into all grain. This video has given me some good ideas and money saving ideas to start out with so thanks and cheers.

That is a pretty cool setup. I have a few questions about it.

1) The cooler it looks like you are constantly cycling the water, how did you add the extra holes to make them water tight for the drain and return lines since it looks like the original drain has the heating element installed?

2) What size of element is that and what voltage are you running? What software are you using to control it? Where are you measuring the temperature at?

3) What is the size of the cooler?

4) The stand offs that you used to elevate your grain screen, what did you use, how tall are they and how did you attach them?

5) Your grain screen. I like the use of the light diffuser piece. Did you use a soft screen door screen or a stiffer one, and how did you attach it or is it just pressure fitted?

Again pretty cool video and neat setup, thanks for sharing it with us.

Looks like a solid setup to me - liked the voices who you talked about oxidation ;). The only gap I saw (might bs to sell more better bottles) is the use of plastic water bottles. Supposedly they're more permeable to oxygen, so longer term aging could also give you oxidation. If you're not seeing a problem, then it's probably fine.

What's that pump and heating element you're using?

I'm in complete love with your set up! I'm going to use that idea and step it down to 10 gallon batches (Hopefully you don't mind). What size heating element did you use?

4500 watt

Really nice video! I do only extract right now, but eventually will get into all grain. This video has given me some good ideas and money saving ideas to start out with so thanks and cheers.

My pleasure; Thanks for watching!

That is a pretty cool setup. I have a few questions about it.

1) The cooler it looks like you are constantly cycling the water, how did you add the extra holes to make them water tight for the drain and return lines since it looks like the original drain has the heating element installed?

2) What size of element is that and what voltage are you running? What software are you using to control it? Where are you measuring the temperature at?

3) What is the size of the cooler?

4) The stand offs that you used to elevate your grain screen, what did you use, how tall are they and how did you attach them?

5) Your grain screen. I like the use of the light diffuser piece. Did you use a soft screen door screen or a stiffer one, and how did you attach it or is it just pressure fitted?

Again pretty cool video and neat setup, thanks for sharing it with us.

1) The original drain is in the side by the pumps suction line. I still use it when I clean it out. I used a hole saw to drill out the front for the heating element. Everything is sealed with silicone sealant on the inside. On the outside everything is epoxied into place.

2)The element is 4500 watts 240 volt. I plug into the outlet for my clothes dryer. My controls run off of one 120 volt phase. I use a Johnson A419 controller the same model that is popular to use on keezers, i have it wired to an icecube relay that engages / disengages a two pole lighting relay that fires the element.

3) 120 Qt. / 30 gal.

4)They are 1.25" wooden dowels I measured them so I would have 8 gallons on the bottom level which works out to about 4ish inches or so.

5)It's the stiffer aluminum type of screen, I cut it into a rectangle and folded it like a Chinese food box.

Looks like a solid setup to me - liked the voices who you talked about oxidation ;). The only gap I saw (might bs to sell more better bottles) is the use of plastic water bottles. Supposedly they're more permeable to oxygen, so longer term aging could also give you oxidation. If you're not seeing a problem, then it's probably fine.

What's that pump and heating element you're using?

The pump is a household utility pump the kind you use to clear out your flooded basement. It's made by a company called flotec. It's not "food grade" but I checked the plastic and the polybutadine the impeller as made from with the manufacturer, and it all seems pretty non toxic. You could use any pump you want I just found one really cheap on amazon. The heating element is for a hotwater tank. 240 volts 4500 watts. Not sure the manufacurer just a random amazon purchase.

If interested, here's another video about construction of the mash tun;

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about the massive stockpile. Nice work.

Thanks so much! The stockpile is key, and maintaining it is essentially the only reason I'm brewing 15 gallons per batch (that and better clarification through longer aging). SWMBO and I might kill a keg in 2-4 weeks, but if we have people over we can kill one in one night. For every 3 kegs I empty I always want to have atleast 6 carboys / bottles waiting to fill them. SWMBO is testy about when I have my brew days, so having a cushion of several weeks worth is essential.

I see white room is spotless. I'd of had beer all over the ceiling running that pump.

Great vid, inspired me to automate my set-up. I don't like walking around the house with 10+ gallons of hot wort so looking into a pump to move the runoff to the brew kettle. I have several of those fermenters and cut the top off of one to get a spigot on. A PITA to Jerry rig something to get the top back on. How did you get the spigot on yours? The holes not big enough to get my arm thru and even if I could, I don't think it would be long enough.

I see white room is spotless. I'd of had beer all over the ceiling running that pump.

I do still tend to make the floor sticky from time to time. ;)

Great vid, inspired me to automate my set-up. I don't like walking around the house with 10+ gallons of hot wort so looking into a pump to move the runoff to the brew kettle. I have several of those fermenters and cut the top off of one to get a spigot on. A PITA to Jerry rig something to get the top back on. How did you get the spigot on yours? The holes not big enough to get my arm thru and even if I could, I don't think it would be long enough.

I used an 11/16 hole saw to cut the hole, and then used a a 3/4" thread cutting tap to thread it so it would match the male thread on my spigot. Then I just globbed on a healthy amount of silicone and screwed it in.

Back