State College, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup! There is a fledgling club (CC Black hops) that met last week out at Elk Creek. I had a rehearsal so couldn't make it. They aren't good at posting details on their bulletin board, I think most is via email and I haven't gotten on that list yet.

Yup! There is a fledgling club (CC Black hops) that met last week out at Elk Creek. I had a rehearsal so couldn't make it. They aren't good at posting details on their bulletin board, I think most is via email and I haven't gotten on that list yet.

Would be interesting to join. Sent them an email, we shall see.

I'm in State College! Brand new brewer. Curious where people get their supplies around here. Made a trip out to Nittany Valley True Value - seems OK for equipment, especially if you need a something small and don't want to pay shipping, but not much of anything in terms of ingredients.

I'm in State College! Brand new brewer. Curious where people get their supplies around here. Made a trip out to Nittany Valley True Value - seems OK for equipment, especially if you need a something small and don't want to pay shipping, but not much of anything in terms of ingredients.
Closest place that I know of is Bald Eagle Brewing Co. in Mifflinburg. I haven't been there though. You have to call (570) 966-3156, they don't respond to emails.

I just ordered some grain from Homebrew4less.com in Chambersburg, PA. I also like Keystone Homebrew Supply in Bethlehem. Something I have wanted to do is see if Otto's would order grain. Anybody ordered grain from Otto's?

Cheers,

Thanks!

Was recently in Mifflinburg for the Christmas market, but didn't know there was an HBS there. Kind of a haul from SC, but I'm in Millheim frequently enough and will have to drive the extra miles to check it out.

Once or twice about 5 yrs ago. A buddy of mine set it up. He's not brewing much these days. I got the impression it wasn't something they were interested in doing on a regular basis. Perhaps if you know the folks there well.

Fledgling "club" in Mill Hall. We are all just beginners, but have had success with Extract kits from Annapolis and Northern Brewers. Our name is Brewers And Drinkers Association (B.A.D. Ass.). We are just starting out and definitely love any hobby that includes beer! Just wanted to make ourselves known!

Fledgling "club" in Mill Hall. We are all just beginners, but have had success with Extract kits from Annapolis and Northern Brewers. Our name is Brewers And Drinkers Association (B.A.D. Ass.). We are just starting out and definitely love any hobby that includes beer! Just wanted to make ourselves known!

I'm in the Mill Hall area and would love to hear more about this new club. I've been doing Extract kits for almost 2 years, would definitely be interested in a local club, especially one that includes some other Extract brewers, I'm not ready to jump to All Grain yet. Hoping to do my first brew for 2013 tomorrow, if the weather permits.

My permanent address is in State College but I am currently in Williamsport PA for school. I am just wondering are there really any good lhbs stores? Seems to me PA is not ripe with lhbs's like some other states.

My permanent address is in State College but I am currently in Williamsport PA for school. I am just wondering are there really any good lhbs stores? Seems to me PA is not ripe with lhbs's like some other states.

Since we don't have a lbhs, maybe we should consider a group buy.:mug:

I honestly thought about getting one together... A home brew store that is. We order together in mill hall every often. Probably again in a few weeks

A LHBS would be awesome in State College. I am sure that homebrewing would grow a lot more in PA if there were actually more than a scarce few LHBS's

I noticed on the other forum you guys were looking for a logo for the "black hops" group. Is this still something you're looking for?

I've heard of your group through a friend. I'd be interested in participating, however i only hear about things after they've happened.

Anywho, I've got a start of a design going for the logo (that is, if you're still looking for one). Also, I don't know when you were established so that's a guess.

BlackHops.jpg

Closest place that I know of is Bald Eagle Brewing Co. in Mifflinburg. I haven't been there though. You have to call (570) 966-3156, they don't respond to emails.

I just ordered some grain from Homebrew4less.com in Chambersburg, PA. I also like Keystone Homebrew Supply in Bethlehem. Something I have wanted to do is see if Otto's would order grain. Anybody ordered grain from Otto's?

Cheers,

I stopped in about a month ago. Talked to a guy in the brewery. He said you can buy hops by the pound, grain by the sack (50 lbs) not ground, and they will give you yeast for free if you drop off a clean container ahead of time.

I stopped in about a month ago. Talked to a guy in the brewery. He said you can buy hops by the pound, grain by the sack (50 lbs) not ground, and they will give you yeast for free if you drop off a clean container ahead of time.

Yep, Otto's sells grain. It's not much cheaper than getting it shipped though. They are also not super concerned with giving you the type you request. Serveral times I requested 2-row/pale and they bring out pilsner. Not really a big deal but annoying if i already have pilsner malt.

Didn't know about the yeast thing, that's cool

I just saw that the SC beer expo is having a homebrew competition. Details on their webiste. It appears to be an open format with all beer styles judged against one another. Judged by local brewpub brewers. I think I have two I can enter. I'm quite low in beer.

Back