WEIRDNESS Abounds - First shot with extract recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIF

Reaction score
Hey All,

Over the weekend a buddy gave me about a pound and a half of Hopunion Golding hops. They'd been sitting in the huge foil bag from his brewery, but they've been opened for a bit, I suppose.

Even if they're on their way to being beat, I wanted to chuck a bunch of them into something, but I didn't want to invest TOO much time.

I figured after reading Papazian's Bible about 30 times, I pretty much know how to extract brew, so I bought two disparate extracts from Midwest.

I went for the Mountmellick Light 4# and the House (Briess) Amber 6#.

I am not steeping any specialty grains.

I got some pacific northwest Wyeast.

I am going to thrown in about 7!!! oz of the Goldings as the wort boils and add nothing for aroma.

Also figured I'd condition with Candi "Simplicity" for more off the wall-ness

Do you think this will be 5 gallons of vomit?

Thanks,
Rob

I'd say try a huge late hop or dry hop addition on one of them, huge boil addition will probably be terrible... way too bitter and you'll have boiled off all the aroma.

Or better put them in a paper bag and throw it in the rafters to age for a couple years, then brew some lambic.

Yeah, a 7 oz. addition for 60 min. will be incredibly bitter. I would do 1 oz. when it comes to a boil and reserve the rest for flavor and aroma additions. The other suggestion about aging them for a couple of years isn't a bad idea either if you ever intend on doing a lambic or something like it.

Back