Home Alone Food- Anna's Romanian Mushroom Stew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
SWMBO is back on the road. Cooking for 1 commenses.

This is one off the net, but I've been making it for a while. The mushrooms seem to make a sauce at the bottom of your bowl, and the onions turn into not just carmelized onions but bacon and mushroom carmelized onions. There is more of magic in this pot than science.

My thanks to Anna, whomever she might be. When I picture her, I think she is most likely pretty hot.

ANNA'S ROMANIAN MUSHROOM STEW
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 lb. bacon
3 - 4 med to lg. onions
1 lb. fresh mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry cut up bacon until crisp. Remove from pan but leave drippings. Add onions to bacon drippings (sliced) and fry until soft. Drain grease from onions. Add drained bacon and onions to saucepan. Wash and cut fresh mushrooms. Scald with boiling water then squeeze well. Add mushrooms to bacon and onions (salt and pepper to taste). Cook 15 minutes in covered pan.

Some wood ear mushrooms would go very well in this. Oh, and grill up some portabellas, then ladle this stew over the top of them like a gravy...
Mmmmmmmmmm...
Makes me think of the mushroom scenes in the original Journey To The Center Of The Earth movie.
Regards, GF :mug:

Some wood ear mushrooms would go very well in this. Oh, and grill up some portabellas, then ladle this stew over the top of them like a gravy...
Mmmmmmmmmm...
Makes me think of the mushroom scenes in the original Journey To The Center Of The Earth movie.
Regards, GF :mug:

Or even better, baby bellos... smaller and more tender and you wont have to cut them!

Maybe over biscuits...

Or even better, baby bellos... smaller and more tender and you wont have to cut them!

Maybe over biscuits...

This is sounding better & better. Maybe a clove of minced garlic, omit the salt & add 2 tablespoons soysauce, a teaspoon of dried sweet basil, a pinch of dried thyme, and either a mushroom broth or beef broth.
This is sounding so good, I think I'll make this for supper tomorrow; Thanks Creamy!
Regards, GF. :mug:

gratus fermentatio said:
This is sounding better & better. Maybe a clove of minced garlic, omit the salt & add 2 tablespoons soysauce, a teaspoon of dried sweet basil, a pinch of dried thyme, and either a mushroom broth or beef broth.
This is sounding so good, I think I'll make this for supper tomorrow; Thanks Creamy!
Regards, GF. :mug:

I like the way you think...

Back