My first batch in 20 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yettiman

Reaction score
Hi, I just want to say, thank you for the device and encouragement I have received.

I have decided to get back to it after a break of 20 years. I have decided not to fall into the trap (one I normally fall into) of trying to do too much too soon. A lot has changed..
I decided against buying a Pre made kit (possibly a mistake) as I did not like the quality of some of the components, it still might have been cheaper to have done so and then replace them.

ItI decided on a kit, Woodsford Norfolk Nog, as I like a

Yettiman said:
Hi, I just want to say, thank you for the device and encouragement I have received.

I have decided to get back to it after a break of 20 years. I have decided not to fall into the trap (one I normally fall into) of trying to do too much too soon. A lot has changed..
I decided against buying a Pre made kit (possibly a mistake) as I did not like the quality of some of the components, it still might have been cheaper to have done so and then replace them.

I decided on a kit, Woodsford Norfolk Nog, as I like a dark winter ale.

If it is ok, I would like to add to this thread, the progress of the brew, so I can learn from the comments, if this is against the forum's rules, I will not do so.

So far, I have cleaned, scrubbed, and sanitised everything, boiled 3/5 gallons of water, mixed with the Pre hopped Extract,

Added in the remaking 2/5 Gallons of cold water. OG came to 1042, is this correct?

I cooled the wort down as fast as I could with an ice batch and added in a yeast (dry yeast from the kit) pre start and mixed well, at 24 degrees.

Has been 5 hours and is all now sealed up and airlock.

Looking forward to seeing the first sign of activity.

24-48 hours, is this correct?

Thank you for listening

Yes 24-48 hours is about right.As far as your OG question I'm not sure what the recipe calls for as you didn't post any of the ingredients.I see you're from Oxford, I was lucky enough to have a couple pints at the eagle and child, great place.

It is a Woodsford Norfolk Nog kit, it should end up with a FG of 1014, but the instructions are very sparce, and did not give an OG.

But providing it is drinkable I will be happy

Inch and half of foam (as viewed through sides of fermenter) and has started to 'burp' every second.

Again, huge thanks for the continuing advice. I have mad notes of everything that is being said for my next batch, but I am relieved it has at least started.

Next update should be in 5-7 days when the fermentation slows / stops.

Thank you

what was the origin of the kit?5 gal.U.S is roughly 19 liters, but 5 gal. imperial is almost 23 liters.Which system of mesurement did you use?

@Alane1

I live in the UK, and got the kit from Art of Brewing. It is a 23 ltr kit. 3kg of Pre hopped malt extract.

Very simple kit, I thought it would be a good easy way back into brewing. So far, apart from the above mistakes ( and I intend to learn from the advice) I am happy with it so far.

After 4 weeks in the fermenter, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks conditioning, and a further 4 weeks in the bottle, only 3 days to go.

I bottled one clear bottle, and it appears to be crystal clear and a very dark chocolate colour,

It will post a picture of Saturday,

Already hooked and have the second batch in the FV, a hoppy Festival

If three brews work out, I will be ordering /making up a single pot system and go into AG

Thanks guys, for all your encouragement

congrats on the beer; it sounds like a success. welcome back, yetti. good to hear another person's joining us. from what i hear of beer prices and how they've been going up in the uk, i can understand why you've jumped back in

WOW !!

Simply awesome

Clear, dark and bitter, perfect. Worth the 8 weeks wait.

Now I am fully hooked

Cannot believe I made it.

All grain next :)

Yettiman,
You may want to do a few more kits before jumping straight into all grain brewing. The kit you did was the most basic 'kit and kilo' using prehopped extract. I would recommend doing a few kits that include seperate steeping grains and hops, and then a few 'mini mash' kits that include larger grain bills and less extract. Each step in the kit progressions will make you more familiar with the processes involved in AG and improve your chances for success.

I returned to brewing last year after being away for 30 years. I've made seven different steeping and mini mash kits, including one I made the recipe for myself (a damn fine IPA). Each one taught me something new about my processes, and I'm ready to move into all grain with the brew in a bag method.

Regardless of your path, good luck, tasty beer and welcome back to the asylum.... :mug:

Back