Did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronM

Reaction score
I started this thread here

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-temperature-372382/

After I brought the temperature down, the fermentation slowed down considerably and the past several days I have not seen any activity in my airlock. I have taken a hydrometer reading the past 3 days and the FG has not changed from 1.014. The recipe indicates that the FG should be in the 1.010 - 1.012 range. Did I mess up perhaps when I let the temperature get to 78 degrees? Should I let it sit for a few more days? Any suggestions and help are much appreciated!

:(

Newbroower said:
FYI. Dec 5 at 12:30 AM is when I took my OG reading and capped my carboy.

1.014 is not a bad FG. What was the OG? It takes more than you would expect to really mess up your beer. So far it sounds like the ABV might just be a little lower than expected. A lot like my first beer. It was still pretty damn good.

The beer has cleared considerably and the krausen has disappeared. Because I didn't filter the wort I have some hops floating on the top. I would like to transfer to 2nd bucket and let it clear for a few more days before bottling. Whaddya think?

You made your beer on 12/5? I would let it sit in the primary a little longer -- you are only one week in. Primary fermentation appears to be complete, if your gravity has stopped dropping at 1.014 over a 3 day period. That is fine. However, the yeast is still working, cleaning up some off flavors.

A rule of thumb that works for me: keep your beer in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks. Mind you -- every beer is a little different, but you want to be patient.

Thanks hercher. So I will transfer to 2nd bucket next Wednesday. How long should I let it sit in the 2nd bucket before bottling? Patience is something that I have never had but I have certainly chosen a hobby that requires them.

dynachrome....... now i am getting conflicting information...... What to do, what to do?

Bottle it.

Really, bottle it.

I disagree.

Leave it alone for at least 2 weeks from brew day, 3 weeks would be better. I get very clear beers this way.

I also feel that letting the yeast finish their work beyond just fermentation makes my good beer better.

I do not go along with those that say you must go 4 weeks or longer, but I have, and the beer was great. I just can't say it was better than at 3 weeks. The ones that I did quick were not as good.

@ kh54s10.... do you transfer to secondary after the 2 or 3 weeks or immediately bottle?

If you had Ferm temps at 78 I would definitely let the beer sit on the yeast for a minimum of 2 weeks to allow the yeast to try and clean up some of the off flavors that were created !

Unless you are dry hopping it there is no need to go to secondary and if the gravity is stable at 1.014 it's done.

Don't know what the weather is in NC but if its getting below 60 at night leave the vessel outside for 2-3 days or cold crash in a fridge to force it clear and then bottle.

@ duboman... The temperatures here have been a little crazy as of late. 80's last week and 48 today. I guess I'll just let it sit for another week and then bottle.

Don't feel compelled to secondary. There are plenty of brewers on here who make great beers using a primary only. I personally would just let it sit in the primary and bottle after three weeks (the 26th?). Time is good for your beer; yeast contact time allows them to clean up off flavors. You could probably bottle today, but the beer is going to be green, and you're just going to have to wait longer once it's bottled for it to mellow and condition.

I'm with the folks who want to wait 3 weeks -- another week newbroower. However -- a question: what kind of beer did you make? What you do at this point can vary. I don't believe you need to transfer to another vessel, but if you want to dry hop, you might want to transfer to a secondary.

No need to secondary unless you're throwing it on oak or something.
2 weeks minimum for primary fermentation to clear.
Let it rest 'til the 19th, and take a reading.
It may by then have dropped a point or two and it will most likely be ready to bottle.

- B916

@ kh54s10.... do you transfer to secondary after the 2 or 3 weeks or immediately bottle?

I try to control my fermentation temperatures at the low end of the recommended range for the yeast that I am using. I used a swamp cooler until I made my fermentation chamber.

I just primary for 3 weeks then bottle. Unless I am adding something or aging for a long time. My present one, a Scottish Wee Heavy will have a secondary for a month or two. It is a 1.098 OG recipe.

It is an Amber Ale. This is the wonderful thing about this hobby.... Everybody has an opinion and everyone else is not right.... LOL.

OK, do you have an extra ounce of hops you'd like to dry hop with, to get some extra hop aroma? If not, just leave it be for a few more days.

This is the wonderful thing about this hobby.... Everybody has an opinion and everyone else is not right.... LOL.

It's more that everyone has an opinion and many of them are right. There are many paths to great beer. You can make them with all grain or extract, with or without a secondary. With proper care in your brewing process, good yeast health, and good recipes, you will make excellent beer. The rest is all just arguing about preferences.

dynachrome....... now i am getting conflicting information...... What to do, what to do?

I should have asked "What are you using for a fermentor?"

If you have a carboy - you can leave it until you die of thirst. If you are using a bucket, I'd bottle sooner than later. I use buckets. Go look at some of my threads. I post pictures. I do most things wrong according to Hoyle and a few others, but I've never had to dump a batch. ....did I just jinx myself?

Early temps in the upper 70's, three days @ 1.014, I think it's done.

Look at the thread in my sig. started by Revvy.

...also note, there are threads showing up at the bottom of the page. Your thread title sorts in threads with like titles. ...neat feature.

Latest posts

Back