Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a Home Depot 5.5cu ft deep freezer with thermostat control. I put the bottle on the outside and I can fit 2 5gal and 2 3gal kegs with picnic taps. I am space limited too.

It is a Home Depot 5.5cu ft deep freezer with thermostat control. I put the bottle on the outside and I can fit 2 5gal and 2 3gal kegs with picnic taps. I am space limited too.

Did you drill a hole through the side for the gas line? I don't see a collar...

I will be adding a coffin with an inset digital picture frame with whats on tap and I will tile the top with glass tile and add blue led ribbon lights.

Photo Dec 13, 3 36 25 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 13, 3 36 34 PM.jpg

What make and model of fridge is your fermentation chamber? Is it a wine fridge?

It's a Magic Chef Wine Fridge. We had it at work and they wanted to get rid of it. Took out the shelves, and put a temperature controller on it.

Sorry I don't know the exact model. I'll check when I get home.

Only thing I'm worried about is when sunlight comes in... It gets hit a bit. It's tinted but I don't trust a carboy in it yet.

It looks identical to my Vissani 52 Bottle Wine Fridge. I believe Vissani is just another Magic Chef brand. They sell at Home Depot for 199. They fit a bucket with room to spare, or even a 6g carboy with airlock with zero modifications.

It looks identical to my Vissani 52 Bottle Wine Fridge. I believe Vissani is just another Magic Chef brand. They sell at Home Depot for 199. They fit a bucket with room to spare, or even a 6g carboy with airlock with zero modifications.

Once in a while they have it on sale for about $160 or so. I remember seeing it and considering it, but in the end went for the 7.0 cu foot ge freezer for $159.

McHaven said:

Must be close if not the same model. Mine holds exactly the same (bucket or 6g with airlock)

I like it. Mine was used and super gross. Never again will I buy used fridges from non-homebrewers.

I plan using it for cold crashing and conditioning...and getting a chest freezer for fermenting so I can do more!!

My Sanyo wasn't bad...he was a gamer do all it had was energy drinks in it.

Someone was kind enough to give me an early christmas present in the form of draft tower, co2 tank, dual regulator and drip tray so I could finally finish converting the Danby I got 2 years ago. Force carbing the first beer right now! This was a real simple conversion, especially compared to a lot of others posted on here!

What model number Danby is that? And are those pin locks or ball locks? I'm wondering if I can fit 2 pin locks in there.

Looks good man, Thanks!

mikeysab said:
Are those granite tiles?

Yeah the lid is stupid heavy after I roughed it out in wood, put plywood on top and then hardibacker board.

I need to take some quality photos after it's grouted.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC using Home Brew Talk

EDIT: Here is the Finished Keezer after I grouted it today.

5917-my-finished-keezer.jpg

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Does anyone on here have a recommendation for where to attach the collar on a keezer?...to the lid or base of freezer?

Does anyone on here have a recommendation for where to attach the collar on a keezer?...to the lid or base of freezer?
To the freezer. The taps go through the collar, so you don't want them and their beer lines to be moving when you open the lid.
I just used a thick layer of Liquid Nails on top of the freezer, then shut the lid onto the collar to hold everything tight while the Liquid Nails hardened. That collar isn't going anywhere and the Liquid nails also provide a great seal.

Flomaster said:
Yeah the lid is stupid heavy after I roughed it out in wood, put plywood on top and then hardibacker board.

I need to take some quality photos after it's grouted.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC using Home Brew Talk

EDIT: Here is the Finished Keezer after I grouted it today.

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Been trying CL for a piece of granite, but don't think its gonna happen. I got a 4912 i'm converting, and trying to incorporate a bottle fridge in the same corner. Either way, I want a nice countertop instead of the usual fridge top. Might have to check out the granite tiles

Hmmm that's an interesting idea...what do you use for a seal on both sides then?

For the bottom side of the collar I used weather strip: Weather Strip

The top just uses the seal on the lid.

I actually just finished my keezer today and keged a brown ale. The two hinges are nice in that you can just open the top to check on things. The hinge on the collar allows easier change out of the kegs.

P1000236.jpg

P1000240.jpg

P1000248.jpg

P1000237.jpg

Wow that looks real good (and clean) nice work...the outlet box is just what toy wired to so you don't have to have an extension cord hanging it the back? Thanks for the advice ok the hinges....I'll be replicating that for sure

awarner322 said:
Wow that looks real good (and clean) nice work...the outlet box is just what toy wired to so you don't have to have an extension cord hanging it the back? Thanks for the advice ok the hinges....I'll be replicating that for sure

Thanks, the outlets are switched by the temperature controller. That way I didn't have to make any changes to the freezers electrical.

Nice, real nice. Your pictures give me ideas for my build. I like the location of the taps. What is the height of the wooden collar? And, perhaps a bit more about the neat looking temperature gauge. Is that the temperature controller? If so, who sells them.

Sorry to be a bit bothersome, but Wayne at Bargain Fittings put me on to HomeBrewTalk; what a wonderful find.

Nice, real nice. Your pictures give me ideas for my build. I like the location of the taps. What is the height of the wooden collar? And, perhaps a bit more about the neat looking temperature gauge. Is that the temperature controller? If so, who sells them.

Sorry to be a bit bothersome, but Wayne at Bargain Fittings put me on to HomeBrewTalk; what a wonderful find.

I definitely couldn't have built this with out all the ideas from HBT.

The collar is 1 x 8 pine and that is an "Ebay aquarium temperature controller". If you don't mind degrees C, for the price it can't be beat. This thread has information of all kinds on it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Here is mine basically complete, Just have to add some led lighting to it...
Thanks to everyone on here, the inspiration from seeing all of your projects really helped.
I used tin on the sides and back, tiled with glass tile and it has a digital picture frame so you know whats on tap...
Thanks again for all of your creations!

Photo Dec 25, 4 30 59 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 25, 4 31 10 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 25, 4 31 16 PM.jpg

Here is mine basically complete, Just have to add some led lighting to it...
Thanks to everyone on here, the inspiration from seeing all of your projects really helped.
I used tin on the sides and back, tiled with glass tile and it has a digital picture frame so you know whats on tap...
Thanks again for all of your creations!

wow that is a beautiful job. good work

I had a 4 tap setup in an old fridge for the last few years which will be my new fermentation chamber.

Here's my new one, my 3 year old think it looks like a battery. Picked up the freezer of Craigslist for $40, not bad even though it's dented up in the front.

It's not 100% finished yet, but this was what I could afford to set up for the holidays. I’ll go to 11 evenly spaced taps eventually (insert Spinal Tap joke here), but the freezer could fit 13. I’ll add one more 525s and two stout faucets. Just plain black handles until I decide what I want to do. I’ll also install a 360mm pc case fan I have from an old gaming rig to keep the cold air moving about. Then there’s the drip tray… still not sure what I want to do about that at all yet. Pretty happy with the overall build especially since I really don’t have any handyman type skills. By far the nicest thing in my basement.

Loads of thanks to everyone who shared there’s on this thread. I viewed every single page at least 3 times while deciding on what to do.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's mine in what I like to think of Phase 1.

DSCN0297.jpg

You can see from the markings I had wanted to mount the taps higher, however once I had them marked out and went to mock up the taps I realized the fridge had a large concave dent the ran along the entire width so I ended up moving the taps farther down.

Inside

DSCN0298.jpg

I plan to add at least 1 more tap, I'd like four but I won't know if I can fit four corny's and the 10lb CO2 tank until I do a mock up.

I still need to

1) Clean & Paint the Fridge in a flat black.
2) Mount a black dry erase board to the top
3) Fabricate a drip tray. My wife is already eyeing my high tech rag drip tray with disdain.
4) fabricate a wood trim for the taps
6) ?????
7) Profit.

Just finished mine up! I Still need to clean her up and make a wood base for the bottom. 2 taps but I can have 4 kegs pressurized

photo-11.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-13.jpg

Hey guys...here is my keezer...just got it operating this weekend...thanks for all the help and tips!!!

Turns out snapping your driver in half doesn't always have to be a bad thing :) ...still need one more handle tho...but more importantly more full kegs!!!

ForumRunner_20120102_101949.jpg

ForumRunner_20120102_102019.jpg

ForumRunner_20120102_102043.jpg

My fridge is on the porch for now. To keep bugs/kids out, I decided to mount the taps on the inside. At first I was going to use picnic taps, but then I realized there was wasted space in the butter tray area so I removed the door and molded a housing for three faucets. I have two regular faucets now with a Perlick 575SS creamer faucet on its way for the empty spot you see. I'm using ball handles out of necessity to clear the inside of the fridge when closing the door. Fridge will hold six kegs, or five with the CO2 tank inside. I plan on having four beers and one soda in there. Waiting on some parts to finish the regulator setup which will be able to set individual pressures for each style.

image-918557649.jpg

image-2281317776.jpg

image-3025439600.jpg

image-2290728247.jpg

After 8 months of planning and working here is my keezer!

6064-img-0235.jpg

The lid and backsplash still need to be tiled (coincidentally I have the same glass mosaic tile that ttumotion used on his) and some corner trim needs to be applied, along with various other odds and ends, but it pours beer!

Thanks to everyone who shared their build process on this forum and anyone who answered questions (mine and others)!

My build thread is here and also please check out the Coffin Keezer List

My fridge is on the porch for now. To keep bugs/kids out, I decided to mount the taps on the inside. At first I was going to use picnic taps, but then I realized there was wasted space in the butter tray area so I removed the door and molded a housing for three faucets. I have two regular faucets now with a Perlick 575SS creamer faucet on its way for the empty spot you see. I'm using ball handles out of necessity to clear the inside of the fridge when closing the door. Fridge will hold six kegs, or five with the CO2 tank inside. I plan on having four beers and one soda in there. Waiting on some parts to finish the regulator setup which will be able to set individual pressures for each style.

Nice work, I like this a lot. My only comment would be close the door slowly, so you don't accidentally open up a faucet and dump a keg out inside the fridge. Maybe some faucet locks would ensure this doesn't happen ever.

Back