Barley Crusher Crank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
Just got my new Barley Crusher from N. Brewer. The crank was difficult it get on, but I was able to do it. Now I want to take it off to test out the drill and it won't budge. Anyone else had this issue? I don't want to start whacking away with a hammer to get the damn thing off.

Not used the crank on my BC, since I put my drill to it from the start (ran about 26# through it the first time I used it, no way was I doing that by hand)... I do think I saw a set screw on the end that goes onto the shaft... I would imagine that if you lined it up properly, and loosened the screw up, it would move on/off the shaft pretty easily... If you didn't do it proper the first time, it might take some effort to get it off now... Just be careful with it... IF you use a hammer, I'd go with either a plastic headed one, or rubber mallet... You might do well using a large screwdriver's handle to tap it off...

Use some penetrating oil on the shaft/crank then gently tap the handle collar with a small hammer while attempting to wiggle or move the handle. Once you get the handle to move a little you can get it to slide off the shaft. Gentle tapping won't do any harm, but whacking it hard certainly could. Go slow and easy and it will come off. As a last resort, you can try heating the handle collar with a propane torch. The idea is to make the collar expand a little so it won't be such a tight fit. Try to avoid overheating the connection as that can make the problem worse. Remove any set screws entirely.

I had the same problem. A little penetrating oil and gentle taps and off it finally came. Emailed them and complained....told to file down the shaft for future use. I sanded it down....but now it's irrelevant since I motorized mine.

Just got mine today and was wondering the same thing. The bigger problem I have, is the base came broken. Like Christmas without batteries :)

Yeah I had the same problem. I had to use my xlarge adjustable on the shaft between the mill and the handle,gently beating the **** out of it with a hammer.G'luck

ps; use a drill :)

Back