Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have heard of it, not used it but do use a similar kind mainly for blending wines as theyre not being kept in the container for a long period of time.

I think the jury is still out on these for storing wines long term say 2yrs plus in a plastic container, heres the picture of the kind I use
cider8mz.jpg

For the time being I think I will stick to glass, unless anyone can guarrantee your wine wont spoil over time.

:)

OMW,
The wines in primary and secondary have to make do with the kitchen as for the ones that are maturing anywhere I can find within reason like here:
pic0013eh.jpg

The Sangiovese is just out of picture on the right within the shelving in brown demijohns, tucked away out sight and temptation.

Walker said:
good lord... that is simply beautiful.

*wipes tear*

-walker

I was thinking the same thing.

*moves to give walker a pat on the back*

I dont have enough patients to age beer 3 weeks in the bottles. Thats exacly why i havent made a wine yet.

LupusUmbrus said:
:eek: Wow. How big are each of those?

They're standard one (UK) Gallon Demijohns (4.55Ltrs). It's the standard wine making glassware in the UK. Can you guys get them? That's why i'm trying to get people on this site to try a wine. You have all the sanitising/measuring/etc gear for beer - with the investment in a few of these plus a few wine bottles later you can try it!

There is no definate ageing time, it really depends on what your after making for instance you can have a juice wine from start to finish within 8 wks and i'm not talking about Kit wines either as I don't do them.

White fruit wine from traditional method ranges from 6 months to 18 months depending on alcohol content/dryness of the wines.

Red fruit wines again from traditional can take from 1yr up to 2 yrs depending which fermenting method you use.

All vegetable wines should be left to mature for 18 months, once again if its high alcohol then it may be longer.

Some dessert style Tea wines can take up to 3 yrs to reach there potential.

Back