Another reason to brew your own...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FerroPlasm

Reaction score
is that you'll never find broken glass in the bottom of your cases.

I'm still waiting for my first batch to ferment and I need bottles, so I figured I'd pick up a 12 pack of something I've never tried. I found a variety of Dundee (Rochester, NY) at my local grocery and figured I'd give it a try. As I'm unpacking the box I find a bunch of broken glass at the bottom. I had 12 intact bottling, but somewhere during the bottling process some broken glass got put in there. A corner of a piece even managed to poke it's way out the bottom edge. Luckily, I didn't get cut. Makes me wonder if any got in the bottles. Anyways, just another reason to brew your own.

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

Wow you would think they would have some sort of quality control that would catch that sort of thing.

The real kicker is that the caps are twist off. I can't even save the bottles!! :mad:

Yeah, yeah. I'm suffering with a wing capper. How does a bench capper work on twist offs: more downward pressure?

Fwiw - that beer sucks ... I bought some a couple of weeks ago and thought it was terrible..

Woah.. that's a pretty serious quality control issue. I'd imagine Dundee would definitely want to know if something like this happened.. it would probably be worth giving them a call or sending them an email.

You can with a red wing too!

Yeah, you can. Somehow I got some twist offs mixed in with my bottles and didn't even realized I had used them until I opened my beers. Not sure how that happened because I don't even buy beer that normally comes in twist offs.

At any rate, the beer I had bottled with them was fine. I took them out of the rotation anyway though just to be safe.

Well, I wish I had your opinions before I bought it. I tried all the varieties last night and none were that great. I won't be buying it again.

The consumer affairs rep got back to me this morning and offered to send me a t-shirt.

Yeah, you can. Somehow I got some twist offs mixed in with my bottles and didn't even realized I had used them until I opened my beers. Not sure how that happened because I don't even buy beer that normally comes in twist offs.

At any rate, the beer I had bottled with them was fine. I took them out of the rotation anyway though just to be safe.

I use twist-offs all the time. Never had an issue.

Well, I wish I had your opinions before I bought it. I tried all the varieties last night and none were that great. I won't be buying it again.

The consumer affairs rep got back to me this morning and offered to send me a t-shirt.

So you can advertise their mediocre beer? :drunk:

Wear the shirt but add "more jagged shards of glass than any other brand!" with a fabric marker.

Hmm. I thought their IPA, pale ale, pale bock, porter, and oktoberfest were pretty good. Of course the shards of glass were probably making cuts in my stomach and making the alcohol enter my bloodstream faster. I think they are on to something. Oh wait, chewing tobacco already cornered that market.

I think we all make more broken glass bottling our own over time than a couple rare cases that make it past a brewery's QC department....

I made the same mistake by buying a case. Screw top bottles that I will not use, and beer that was OK.

For the record, I primarliy drink IPAs, Porters, and Stouts. Of the types I have tasted, I have only had one bottle each, but the pale bock seemed too sweet, almost cloying. The stout was average, and the Kolsch was not too bad. I have not been able to bring myself to try the IPA.

The IPA is their best one. None of their beers are great, and that stout is one of the worst stouts Ive ever had, but keep in mind at $9 a case its easily the cheapest variety pack of craft brew out there. You get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back