hopping a Killian's-type red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, so planning a 10-gallon batch with a buddy, he's thinking a Killian's-type red ale would be nice and tasty. Picking up ingredients today. I'm thinking, for grain, some pale malt, a good amount of Munich, some crystal 60, maybe some carapils, and a pinch of roasted barley for color.

Hops - I'm not so sure about. What would be appropriate for the style? I know it's a flexible style, and I don't care about making a CLONE, but I'd like to be in the right neighborhood at least. Stick to traditional noble varieties? The only recipes I've seen call for Chinook/Cascade, which doesn't strike me as right (although it's been a while since I've had Killian's).

Help?

the_bird said:
Alright, so planning a 10-gallon batch with a buddy, he's thinking a Killian's-type red ale would be nice and tasty. Picking up ingredients today. I'm thinking, for grain, some pale malt, a good amount of Munich, some crystal 60, maybe some carapils, and a pinch of roasted barley for color.

Hops - I'm not so sure about. What would be appropriate for the style? I know it's a flexible style, and I don't care about making a CLONE, but I'd like to be in the right neighborhood at least. Stick to traditional noble varieties? The only recipes I've seen call for Chinook/Cascade, which doesn't strike me as right (although it's been a while since I've had Killian's).

Help?

I use a single, 1.5oz, 60min addition of Fuggles for a 5.5 gallon batch.

:mug:

We ended up grabbing some Kent Goldings and Fuggles; probably just do the single addition. Should be a pretty simple, clean little beer. Dropped the carapils, now I'm wishing I grabbed some wheat malt, though.

I just drank the last bottle of an Irish-style Red tonight... man that sure mellowed out well since bottling in early July. I wish I had more :(

Anyhow, my hop schedule (all Fuggles) was 1 oz at 60m, 1/2 oz at 15m, and 1/2 oz at 5. Kent Goldings have quickly become a huge favorite of mine and would probably replace the 15 and 5 additions with the EKG's the next time.

Should be a good brew for you, sir!

Back