40 oz screw on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
got a call from someone that had a ton of 40's. said there were screw on, or he thought they were. can i make these work or should i tell him no thanks.

I don't know- my guess would be that you'd have sealing problems. Could you take them, put soda in one and cap it and then try the soda in a week? If the soda stays carbed, I guess then you know it worked. I don't know how else to check without possibly ruining some beer. But if it worked- that would be great!

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
got a call from someone that had a ton of 40's. said there were screw on, or he thought they were. can i make these work or should i tell him no thanks.

Here's the thing: on one level, the straight-up scientific reality level, it should be fine. I mean, it works for the malt liquor, no? As long as the cap is in okay condition, I'd guess it'd be okay...but you'd want to try a test bottle first, before using them en masse.

However, on another level, the paranormal level, there are almost certainly spirits that haunt those vessels. Ghosts of all your fallen homies...or someone's fallen homies...whoever it was who drank said 40. As is customary in the malt liquor culture, each 40oz consumption begins with several ounces being poured out, typically on a sidewalk or grave, in memoriam of the consumer's late homie/homies. As the legend goes, that bottle is heretofore h'ainted by the spirit of the dead homie/homies that were mentioned in memoriam.

So, while technically it should work, I'd be a little wary of consuming brew from h'ainted vessels.

YC has the right idea, as some screw-tops can be sealed with a standard cap and some cannot. New screw caps are hard to find and take some specialized equipment. I don't recall 40's coming up before, so test it; then try them on part of a batch and post your results.

Yes, of course you can use them! If the screw cap is still straight and not bent up or stripped, it will seal fine.

I've picked them up out of the recycling dumpster (they have to have a cap, or they don't come home) and used them quite a few batches.

Great find, man!

Evan! said:
Here's the thing: on one level, the straight-up scientific reality level, it should be fine. I mean, it works for the malt liquor, no? As long as the cap is in okay condition, I'd guess it'd be okay...but you'd want to try a test bottle first, before using them en masse.

However, on another level, the paranormal level, there are almost certainly spirits that haunt those vessels. Ghosts of all your fallen homies...or someone's fallen homies...whoever it was who drank said 40. As is customary in the malt liquor culture, each 40oz consumption begins with several ounces being poured out, typically on a sidewalk or grave, in memoriam of the consumer's late homie/homies. As the legend goes, that bottle is heretofore h'ainted by the spirit of the dead homie/homies that were mentioned in memoriam.

So, while technically it should work, I'd be a little wary of consuming brew from h'ainted vessels.

"Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls. AAAAGGGHHHH!"

you could put some bottle wax on the top, that should be a good back up

Back