Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AE is available at most LHBS. You need 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons. (See post #1) Its about $2.50 a container and it will last you at least 15-20 batches.

What did you do with the sample you pulled????? :D
Drank it of course!! So far its great. I also bottled 1 before going to the 2ndary just to see how that turns out with out drying it. At that point 1.008 starting at 1.035 so not bad. Waiting to Saturday to try that one. It will be a week then,so it should be carbed up.

Drank the one I bottled while transfering to the 2ndary last night. Odd flavor think its lots of corn. See what happens after it dries out.

Drank the one I bottled while transfering to the 2ndary last night. Odd flavor think its lots of corn. See what happens after it dries out.

That odd flavor is corn, the AE will convert it to fermentables and the yeast will have some desert.

The end result will be dry. The corn taste will be very faint if at all detectable.

The only taste you should have is the subtle hops. That will be mostly in flav and aroma. It depends how much you went with in the end late boil and/or dry.

That odd flavor is corn, the AE will convert it to fermentables and the yeast will have some desert.

The end result will be dry. The corn taste will be very faint if at all detectable.

The only taste you should have is the subtle hops. That will be mostly in flav and aroma. It depends how much you went with in the end late boil and/or dry.

I used 1/2oz cascade@45, 1/2oz cascade@30, 1/2oz of Mt hood at 5min I figured out to be right on 17IBU

Thanks fir the reply

It seems like it would have tons of hops flavor, am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, It sounds way better than miller lite.

It seems like it would have tons of hops flavor, am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, It sounds way better than miller lite.

It is.... You are right! It should have lots of hop flavor and still be nice and light. Bitterness is tamped down so the BMC crowd can still drink it as will the average HB'r.

I used 1/2oz cascade@45, 1/2oz cascade@30, 1/2oz of Mt hood at 5min I figured out to be right on 17IBU

Thanks fir the reply

Should be pretty durn good!

a shot of v2.0... i still think i'm going to up the IBU next time, it just seems a little 'grainy' to me... don't get me wrong, this keg was gone as quick as the first, but i'll report back with how version 3 goes.

DSC00780.jpg

a shot of v2.0... i still think i'm going to up the IBU next time, it just seems a little 'grainy' to me... don't get me wrong, this keg was gone as quick as the first, but i'll report back with how version 3 goes.

DSC00780.jpg

Try keeping the IBU as is but amp up the late and dry hopping.

Are you calculating IBU with software?

I saw in BYO that there is an article about yeast strains and grainy/bready flavors. It might be your yeast type. If I recall just scanning the article that they used two yeasts.

Just tried mine last night..:( Only got down to 1.004 still has a slight corn front. Other than that there is almost no taste at all at 4%. Don't who what I am going to do with it mayybe add some flavoring to the keg..

Tryed it again last night while crushing more grain..(Notice the grain dust on the glass in the pic) And it is coming around corn taste is gone and now a very drinkable beer. I ll give it another week and I am sure it will be great!!
Thanks

100_1397.jpg

I'm a **** and want to try my first all grain ...
can anyone write the original recipe in a easier to read format??
It looks pretty cryptic, and I'd at least like to buy the ingredients next time I pass the HB store..

:ban:

--------------------------------
maybe I should look in a book or talk to a human being or something.. assuming i did get an ingredient list, it's not like i'd know what to do with it..
Sorry for the request for handholding, it was late.

Tryed it again last night while crushing more grain..(Notice the grain dust on the glass in the pic) And it is coming around corn taste is gone and now a very drinkable beer. I ll give it another week and I am sure it will be great!!
Thanks

this style definitely benefits from a good cold conditioning... the last pint is always the best!

I'm a **** and want to try my first all grain ...
can anyone write the original recipe in a easier to read format??
It looks pretty cryptic,
and I'd at least like to buy the ingredients next time I pass the HB store..

Read the header on the ingredients. It will help you decipher the ingredient code. :D

This is a recipe output from from Promash. Lot of AG people use Promash and they are familiar with the format. Spend a a little time looking at it and it will just pop out at you.

hey, i know it still wouldent be a miller light clone but interested in your 2cents if i use vienna instead of the 6row
and
cane sugar instead of corn to the same OG?
hop schedule,yeast,AE, everything else the same.

hey, i know it still wouldent be a miller light clone but interested in your 2cents if i use vienna instead of the 6row
and
cane sugar instead of corn to the same OG?
hop schedule,yeast,AE, everything else the same.

Me thinks something like sam adams light.

Use no more than 20% sugar. Other wise it will suck (the beer will get a cidery taste from the sugar)

40% Pale Malt
40% Vienna Malt
20% corn or cane sugar

Keep IBUs at 16-18 range using hallertauer at 60 minutes.

hit my temps and numbers gonna have this carbed and ready for daytona gonna serve it out of a miller lite tap and see what the bmc group has to say

Cascade will be good. BMC drinkerswill notice the difference since ML is made from German or Czech hops. Think of a light american beer closely resembling Bud Ale.

I like the citrusy taste, more so than the traditional German noble hop.

I used sorachi ace several times for a great lemony flavor.

Cascade will be good. BMC drinkerswill notice the difference since ML is made from German or Czech hops. Think of a light american beer closely resembling Bud Ale.

I like the citrusy taste, more so than the traditional German noble hop.

I used sorachi ace several times for a great lemony flavor.

that sounds great for the summer will have to give it a try :ban:

How did cream of three crops taste after u used AE,i like that recipe and wanted to try it with AE.Also i love sorchi ace great in am wheat summer brews.

How did cream of three crops taste after u used AE,i like that recipe and wanted to try it with AE.Also i love sorchi ace great in am wheat summer brews.

It tasted pretty damned good. A few of my buddies said for a cream ale that it need a corn-flavor taste. The AE totally knocks that out, by breaking it down so the yeast can consume it up.

It makes the beer very, very clean and crisp. I think the AE is magic ingredient for light beer, if you want it to appeal to the masses.

I served the 3-Crop at a beerfest, needless to say out of 20+ kegs it was the first to have the sputter-fuks (go empty).

I know this is a miller light post but at wht point did you add the AE. I just added gelatin today to the cream of three crops recipe after two weeks in pim

So I made a mixture of this with BM's CRC. I used cascade hops, 7 lbs of 2 row, and 2 lbs of corn. I'm making this for BMC drinkers, so I want it to be really clear so I plan on using gelatin. My question is when should I add the gelatin since I'm racking onto the AE? Do I need a tertiary? Or is there a better way to do this?:drunk:

No gelatin needed. The AE will clear that sucker up good. Look at the other posted pictures.

If still want to add gelatin, do this while kegging. So rack from the 2ndary to the keg on top of some gelatin.

Ready to rack to a secondary with the AE..The bottle says 1 tspn per 5 gallon. Do I just put a tspn of the stuff in the secondary and rack on top of it. Or is there a process like with the gelatin of adding water boil etc

O and do i shake (aerate) the secondary after like i had to do when i added the yeast in the begining

Ready to rack to a secondary with the AE..The bottle says 1 tspn per 5 gallon. Do I just put a tspn of the stuff in the secondary and rack on top of it. Or is there a process like with the gelatin of adding water boil etc

Yes - Just put a tsp in the 2ndary then rack to it w/o splashing.

O and do i shake (aerate) the secondary after like i had to do when i added the yeast in the begining

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO THIS! Absolutely no shaking. You don't want to oxidize nearly finished beer.

themcnabs - Your inbox is full, so I'm posting your PM here...

themcnabs said:
I am hopeing to catch you as I am brewing this tomorrow. I am making 10 gallons and am worried about the hops. I am going to use Magnums (13.1) to bitter and Willamette (4.9) for flavor and aroma. With the low alcohol content I am really worried about over hoping this. Do you have any suggestions?

Yes run the calculations in this website. Enter the recipe this into this website. Then tweak the quantity in oz to hit 18 IBU. Select any hop you want and plug in the 13.1 for bittering (60 min) and the 4.9 for flavor and aroma. You won't need much to do a 60 min boil and hit 18 ibu.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

If you do this and follow the boil times you will have a perfect beer, no matter what you substitute on the hops.

Good Luck!

I'm a lazy @ss so don't secondary my beers. Is there any reason I can't throw the AE in the primary after primary fermentation is completed?

I'm a lazy @ss so don't secondary my beers. Is there any reason I can't throw the AE in the primary after primary fermentation is completed?

Yes. You want the beer to be done and relatively clean before adding the AE.

The AE will break down the complex sugars that can't be done by yeast. Assume the yeast works its way down to 1.006 and stops. The rest is unfermentable dextrines or complex sugars. The AE breaks down the residuals so that it ferment all the way to 1.000.

It will be dry and very crisp, no adjunct tastes will exist like corn that is so common in cream ales.

What about using a Kolsch yeast from Wyeast? Some people use it for psuedo-lagers. What would the difference in taste be?
I'm also considering Pacman yeast since I'm told it's like US-05/WLP001/WYeast 1056 but on a rampage.
Thanks
-Chris

What about using a Kolsch yeast from Wyeast? Some people use it for psuedo-lagers. What would the difference in taste be?
I'm also considering Pacman yeast since I'm told it's like US-05/WLP001/WYeast 1056 but on a rampage.
Thanks
-Chris

Give it a try. I like the idea of the Kolsch...

Give it a try. I like the idea of the Kolsch...

I'm ordering my ingredients tomorrow for this. Since it just got really warm here yesterday, I'll probably be fermenting somewhere around 72* now so I don't think a Kolsch would be a good idea. It's either American Ale like you used or the Pacman yeast. I just tried a Rogue Dead Guy ale that uses Pacman yeast though and it was disgusting. I know it's a completely different style of beer though. Thanks for the great recipe! I'm still deciding if I wanna add more flavor(than standard budmillercoors) by triple hopping like you did or doubling hopping and steeping just a small bit of honey malt before the boil
-Chris

Back