StarSan + Easy Clean = Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
I appologize if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it.

Here's my senario / question

I need to bottle my beer tonight and I only have enough starsan left to do 2 1/2 gallons. I need to sanitize my 5 gallon bottling bucket and I don't have the funds to go buy more for tonight.

Can I add some Easy Clean No Rinse to cover the other 2 1/2 gallons or will it cause issues?

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Just make 1 gallon of Starsan solution and sanitize everything with that. You just have to slosh/splash it around to get everything. It's much cheaper/less wasteful if you just make 1 or 2 gallons at a time, with Distilled Water, and then reuse it for quite a while before you dump it.

In any case, I wouldn't mix them.

Yup, 5 gallons of starsan is about 4.85 gallons too much to sanitize a 5 gallon bucket. It gets harder to mix the right concentration in smaller volumes so even 1.25 gallons for .25 ounces of starsan is better than 2.5 gallons.

thanks guys.

i guess i'm just paranoid that if i dont let the whole container soak it's not working but that helps.

Thanks.
How long does the sanitizer have to come in contact with the surface to work? 30 seconds? or is it sanitized once it touches?

v GENERAL USE DIRECTIONS

All surfaces should be cleaned and rinsed before sanitizing with STAR SAN.

Directions: A dilution of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of water, STAR SAN will provide 300 ppm of dodecylbenzenesulfonic
acid. After 1 to 2 minutes contact time, drain sanitizing solution equipment thoroughly. Do not rinse. If using Star
San in CIP, proper water balance must be maintained or your pump may cavitate. If used at a rate of more than
300 ppm, a potable rinse is required.

Part Soaking: Use 1 ounce of STAR SAN per 5 gallons of water. Parts must have contact with solution for 30
seconds and put on wet. When solution begins to cloud, sweeten with Star San or Phosphoric Acid. Solution must
remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level.

Hand Utensils: Scrape or preclean dirty utensils. Clean using a suitable detergent, following label directions. Rinse
with potable water. Soak or spray utensils/inflations with a STAR SAN ACID SANITIZER solution (1oz./5 gal. of water).
After 1 to 2 minutes contact time, drain solution thoroughly. Prepare a fresh solution daily or more often if the
solution becomes soiled or dirty.

Bulk Milk Tanks: Clean tank with a suitable detergent and rinse with potable water. Manually spray a STAR SAN
ACID SANITIZER solution (1 oz/5 gal. of water) on all surfaces to be sanitized. After 1 to 2 minutes contact time,
drain solution thoroughly.

Food Plant Use: Bulk Tanks, Vats and Utensils: Scrape or preclean dirty surfaces. Wash equipment with a suitable
detergent and rinse with potable water. Sanitize with a STAR SAN ACID SANITIZER solution (1 oz/5 gal of water) by
either brush soak or spray method. After 1 to 2 minutes contact time, drain solution thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back