HopNog IPA modified... comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
Well its been ages since I brewed a batch, so a few days ago I took by HopNog extract kit and messed with it a bit. Comments would be great!

6.6 lbs briess light LME boil 75 mins
1.0 lbs briess light DME boil 75 mins
2.0 lbs Briess caramel 20L 20 min steep at 170

Hops
75 mins 1.25 oz simcoe 11.9
15 mins 1.5 oz cluster 7.9
15 mins 1.5 oz challenger 7.1
5 mins 1.0 oz cascade 6.3
5 mins .5 0z lublin 3.4

safale yeast dry

Comments?

thanks

During this batch I had some serious equipment failure:

1. The grain bag burst and I had to scoop all the grains out prior to dumping in the extract. Ended up not getting everything out, but we'll see how that turns out.

2. The rubber grommet on my fermenter lid busted, so I dont have a perfect tight seal... ended up taping the airlock to the lid.

Cheers

Lucas

Sounds fine... should be a relatively tame IPA I think. Nothin off the walls. The grain thing may be a problem with tannins getting extracted. A trick to fix that problem is to let the wort cool a little and siphon it through a new grain bag. Either that or pour it through a metal screen colander. I wouldn't worry about the grommet. A touch of keg lube on those helps with binding. Interesting choice in hops. I have never used cluster or lublin. Any reason for using those varieties? Which safale yeast did you use?

safale US05
The Cluster came with the kit, the lublin and challenger I had at home.

So far it looks like im going to get about 120 IBU of bitterness from that mix.

Cheers

It should be great. I like the yeast substitution and the additional hops will only make it better. I brewed up a batch of Nopnog and added my home grown Cascade hops and was very happy with it. My kit hops were totally different than yours - I think they made up at least four variants of this kit. All I have left, stashed away for a special occasion, is the commemorative bottle.

The smell from my "brewing bathroom" is amazing... citrusy, piney, just a smorgasbord of hoppy goodness.

This one is gonna be nice!

L

I've made 5 of these kits over the last 4 months. I love them, they are really good, nice and bitter and strong hop flavor and aroma. I have tweaked all but the first one and they all turned out excellent. 3 of them came with different hops then the first two but the Alpha Acids and schedules were about the same.

Just curious though why you went with a 75 minute boil instead of a 60 which the recipe called for.

I've made 5 of these kits over the last 4 months. I love them, they are really good, nice and bitter and strong hop flavor and aroma. I have tweaked all but the first one and they all turned out excellent. 3 of them came with different hops then the first two but the Alpha Acids and schedules were about the same.

Just curious though why you went with a 75 minute boil instead of a 60 which the recipe called for.

The 75 minute boil was just to see what would happen!

Nothing more!

Back