First timer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe7dust

Reaction score
First off, I know this isn't "beer" but this is the only beginner subforum I saw. If a mod feels the need to move it to the Wine section so be it.

I'm going to use SuperYeast and refined sugar to create my first 20% ABV homebrew. I plan on going by this guide: The Homebrew Company: SUPERYEAST

1: During the 8-day fermentation, should the pail be sealed shut, cracked open or fully open?

2: The wording is a bit unclear but it appears to state that it is ok to simply use Super Kleer KC and mix with soda/punch, and that the charcoal/filtration steps are mainly for those who plan on distilling into liquor and need a pure spirit base. Is that right?

3: Super Kleer KC mix says it treats 5-6 gallons but the SuperYeast batch will be 7.5 gallons will I need to buy 2 packs of Super Kleer KC or perhaps only make a half batch?

4: Will the powder yeast keep well if I only use half at a time?

I plan to mix with Ginger Ale/Hawaii Punch for an alcoholic holiday party punch type drink and store the rest in 1-gallon glass bottles.

5: Will this keep well long-term stored in glass? And should it be refrigerated if yes?

Normally, I would say welcome but...
Distillation is illegal in this country. We don't do illegal here.
Hooch tastes nasty. We don't do nasty tasting beverages here.

Want to talk about brewing good beer?

What I said was I might use some of the leftovers to take a shot at distilling, but I didn't realize that's illegal so I edited it out. Got anything else for the other 98% of my post dealing with what is technically a wine?

I'm sorry but you are talking about fermenting sugar water to 20%. Even if the sugar water is soda or punch, it's still sugar water. Nothing about that is like wine. We have some great wine recipes. Want to talk about making wine?

I'm with Nurmey. If you want to make high octane punch, get yourself some Everclear to pour in it. It'll taste much better. Unless of course you're not old enough to walk into a liquor store yet...

I just want to try something different and also creating my own is something I've never done before. I won't comment on your opinions, tastes etc. since to each his own. Anyways I came here asking for advice. The most important of which is probably the level of oxygenation required during the actual fermenting process. I don't want to end up with vinegar or bacterial infection.

Judging from what I found on wikipedia "Oxygen is needed as well but in wine making the risk of oxidation and the lack of alcohol production from oxygenated yeast requires the exposure of oxygen to be kept at a minimum.[6]" I would assume the best course for me is to leave the cooler lid shut. This will leave a small crack for some oxygen to get by while not completely sealing it off, does that sound right?

If you leave the lid off, your parents will smell the fermentation.

I haven't talked to my parents in years... Is this how you guys treat all new comers to the site? I mean we are at 3 of 3 jackasses here... I'm about ready to go elsewhere.

jackasses? What did I say? I never once pointed out that you're coming on to a brewing and winemaking forum and asking about making, oh..., prison hooch. If you want to MAKE something, we'll be happy to help you. But most folks on here confine their advise to beer, wine, mead and the occasional cider. Dumping yeast in sugar water isn't brewing. It won't taste good and your friends will think you're an idiot for offering it to them.

Again more insults to my tastes. You're no use to me, go bother someone else and insult their opinions and preferences not me.

People have offered you advice. You don't agree with it, so you insult them. Time to go away and leave the grown-ups alone.

Two pages into a post asking for help in the newcomers forum and not one of you have even attempted to answer one of my questions. This is sad.

its not that people don't want to answer your questions, rather, its that they are inappropriate and irrelevant to beer and/or wine.

Apparently the 4 of you missed my original post so I'll ask again:

1: During the 8-day fermentation, should the pail be sealed shut, cracked open or fully open?

2: The wording is a bit unclear but it appears to state that it is ok to simply use Super Kleer KC and mix with soda/punch, and that the charcoal/filtration steps are mainly for those who plan on distilling into liquor and need a pure spirit base. Is that right?

3: Super Kleer KC mix says it treats 5-6 gallons but the SuperYeast batch will be 7.5 gallons will I need to buy 2 packs of Super Kleer KC or perhaps only make a half batch?

4: Will the powder yeast keep well if I only use half at a time?

I plan to mix with Ginger Ale/Hawaii Punch for an alcoholic holiday party punch type drink and store the rest in 1-gallon glass bottles.

5: Will this keep well long-term stored in glass? And should it be refrigerated if yes?

its not that people don't want to answer your questions, rather, its that they are inappropriate and irrelevant to beer and/or wine.
It sounds like it will be similar to Maddog 20/20 which is a wine last I checked.

All.
I think his profile checks out.

joe7... chilll out. You're a guest here. We have had underage kids that come here to try and get information about hootch. The people here are protecting the site from outside scruitiny.

You are making hootch. If you want such information, please look elsewhere. Come back here to discuss beer and wine.

I tried but this was all I was able to come up with. ******* definition | Dictionary.com

sorry olllllo.......But lol that was funny.

On a serious not what your planning on making will taste like a$$. I used to do the sugar water thing to produce co2 for my aquarium....I got curious and tasted it now I'm making beer and wine. You can but a wine kit for about $55 and make some decent wine. Invest in a starter kit for wine/beer making spend some money on good ingredients and you will be amazed what you can produce!

Hopefully you are of age and just a little off course. If you take the time to listen to the many good people here you will be making some damn good booze in a few weeks.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back