float switch wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanhagerty

Reaction score
I am trying to wire my float switch for my mash tun to turn my pump on and off when the level gets too high. Any one have any idea how to wire this?

relay.jpg

I am lost in this one

Sean

Not nearly enough information to tell you.

What type of float switch do you have? Do the contacts open or close when the level is "high" (or does it have both open and closed options?)

If the contacts open (it disconnects when "too high") you simply have it driving the coil of a normally open relay (making the relay closed) which is rated to run your pump and connected to it.

If the contacts close (it connects when "too high") you simply have it driving the coil of a normally closed relay (making the relay open) which is rated to run your pump and connected to it.

In either case you want a master switch to turn power to the pump relay off when you simply want it to be off.

You might also want a time-delay relay in there so the pump is not being switched on and off too quickly. More typically two float switches are used - one for the "low" level to turn the pump on, and one for the "high" level to turn the pump off - time delay is not needed if there's a reasonable space between the two levels for the size of the pump.

Not nearly enough information to tell you.

What type of float switch do you have? Do the contacts open or close when the level is "high" (or does it have both open and closed options?) It has both options, I can just turn it over.

If the contacts open (it disconnects when "too high") you simply have it driving the coil of a normally open relay (making the relay closed) which is rated to run your pump and connected to it.

If the contacts close (it connects when "too high") you simply have it driving the coil of a normally closed relay (making the relay open) which is rated to run your pump and connected to it.

In either case you want a master switch to turn power to the pump relay off when you simply want it to be off. I have the master power off already.

You might also want a time-delay relay in there so the pump is not being switched on and off too quickly. More typically two float switches are used - one for the "low" level to turn the pump on, and one for the "high" level to turn the pump off - time delay is not needed if there's a reasonable space between the two levels for the size of the pump. I plan on just making it turn off when the level gets too high.

Basically, I need to know what wires to hook to what posts.

Thanks for the help
Sean

The picture leaves the wiring diagram a bit less than clear.

Assuming you have a 110V coil on the relay, you connect power to the float switch, and then to one side of the coil. The other side of the coil connects to the neutral (other side of the power line, US-spec 110V).

One side of the coil is the terminal lowest and toward the front, as can be seen by looking at the wire. At a pure guess, the other is the other one nearest the table in the back.

Power for the motor is connected to one side of the switched contact (likely the terminal on back, second from the table). the motor is connected to one of the switched contacts (middle, top and next to top) and the neutral. You have a choice of normally open and normally closed (usually, and "I think, based on picture").

If you can manage a picture or scan that the diagram shows up in better, guesses could be better - or link to a page with a description of the relay.

Back