Sweet Suprise!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
OK, A few weeks ago, a small brew pup in Wilmington NC (Front Street Brewery) hosted a Homebrew competition. It is their plan to take the "best in show" winner's recipe and brew it at their establishment. They will then set aside 3-4 kegs to enter in the GABF Pro-am competition with the winner. So I took a chance, and entered my IPA (which is Dude's Lake Walk with a kick in the hops) and my Chocolate RIS. I have never entered a contest and thought it would be good to get the feedback.:eek:

Well.....I won gold in both groups and best in show.

:rockin:I am so stoked to get to brew my RIS on their system that I think I am going to blow a gasket.... The best part is the entry into the Pro-am.

BUT to the real point. When they release it on tap at the pub, I want to have as many people as are willing to make the trip, to come, and have a blow out party. I know there are many NC and VA brewers who could come check it out. We are brewing it on or around June 13th, so it should be ready sometime near the end of July, and I will be posting an update.

PS...I'm not bragging, as I am totally suprised to be honored like this. I am really humbled that they like them so much.

Congrats!!!
Applause.gif

I'm trying to work up the courage to enter some brews into the Michigan State Fair Competition this summer.

That's awesome! Keep me updated, I'll be heading down the to beach at sometime in July or so, I'll definitely come by for that:mug:

Front Street's a great brewpub. When I lived in NC, I'd drive down to Wilmington a couple times a year, and always had to hit Front Street. I'll be down there during my NC trip next week, so too early, but congratulations nonetheless!

You know what's really sad, I work a few blocks up the street from Front St. Brew and I haven't been in there once since I started homebrewing. Of course it's not exactly easy for me to go in and have a pint or two on the clock, and since I drive 10 miles home after work, it's probably not a great idea to have a few before headin' home either.

I'll have to get the in-laws to take the kids for an afternoon soon and have a nice lunch in there with the wife. They do make a pretty good burger or two in there.

Congrats!!!

I did exactly the same...won Best of Style and Best of Show my first time out and brewed 250 gals at the brewpub for sale at the pub.

I invited a lot of people I knew. They said it was the second fastest brew ever to be sold out.

Still, my congrats to you!! :mug:

Ok, So we brewed my recipe on the 13th of June, and it was the biggest grain bill they have done at the brewery. We mashed in 450 kg (900 + pound) of grain and netted out about 8 barrels of wort. It fermented from 21 plato to 6 plato in the first 5 days( roughly 8.5% ABV and tasted great. They have capped it for carbonation and hope to drop it a couple of more degrees plato. It should finish at 9 - 9.5 % and will be ready to tap in a couple of more weeks. I'll let everone know when we are going to release it, so I can get as many of you guys down to try it as possible. We will keg off 3 kegs for GABF and the rest will be served at four local wilmington establishments. Beware though it has a huge hop bite as well. it has 14 pounds of hops, so it has about 70 ibu's. hehe......

OK folks, The beer is ready and will be on tap at the Front St, Brewery in Wilmington, NC on Friday July 4th. It kinda sucks that it will be that day, as most people have travel plans already, but anyone that can make, please come by and sample my homebrew , brewed on a 10 bbl system. I will be there, starting at 6:30 and would love to hang out with you guys. The brewmaster (Kevin) tasted it and said it was good, but would be even better with age. Oh well.....Hope to see you there.

Back