Frederick, MD just keeps getting better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Home to Flying Dog, a couple of good brew pubs. (Love me some Brewer's Alley), and now open is the Roast House Pub. 20 beers on tap, including a Flanders Red as of last weekend. How many places actually put a sour beer on tap? The food was good, and they'll do 50 cent 1oz tasters which is great. My only complaint is that I think they are in waaaaaaaaaay too small of a venue. They remodeled the Philly's Cheesesteak place and for the quality of food + beer variety I know its going to take off. Beer prices were above average, but reasonable for the selection being offered. The place is behind Lowes on 355, by grove road. Check it out!

Great to hear! I am newly signed up to this forum, and saw this pub forum and was going to post up about this place!

I have not yet gone, but plan to tomorrow night. What other beers are on tap?

Also getting better because now Flying Dog is lifting their self imposing block on brewery tours, as they are now not limited to the amount of sampling that they can provide.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be back down your way at the end of the month to spend some time on the Catoctin trail. Always hit Brewer's Alley. Have to try this place too.

As someone who is actually from the MD/DC/VA area (there are so few these days), there really aren't that many great breweries in the state. It is odd that a town like Fredrick has 3 different places. It is actually a great little town and if for some reason you have to live in the MD/DC/VA area, I highly suggest you check this town out. That is about all that the DC area has that is good for beer plus Hook & Ladder and maybe Shenandoah (but they are closing?) , and calling Fredrick the DC area is a stretch.

As someone who is actually from the MD/DC/VA area (there are so few these days), there really aren't that many great breweries in the state. It is odd that a town like Fredrick has 3 different places. It is actually a great little town and if for some reason you have to live in the MD/DC/VA area, I highly suggest you check this town out. That is about all that the DC area has that is good for beer plus Hook & Ladder and maybe Shenandoah (but they are closing?) , and calling Fredrick the DC area is a stretch.

Grown up in Virginia all my life (McLean), just moved to Germantown, work in D.C. and my sister has lived in Frederick for 10 years. I think you maybe referring to just the dc metro area as not having good breweries? Cause there are a lot of brewpubs/beer serving establishments. Virginia had Old Dominion for years (recently partnered/bought by Fordham and Reside in Delaware) ad still has a tap house in ashburn, There is a new brewery - Port City, in Alexandria. There are brewpubs like Capitol City and Rock Bottom also Dogfish Head Ale Houses. Lets move to Maryland for breweries now - Flying Dog (Frederick), Clipper City (formerly heavy seas in Baltimore), DuClaw, Fordham started as a brewpub in Annapolis, Ram's Head Tavern I beleive. Brewpubs are around Maryland as well, been to Pratt St Alehouse in Baltimore. MD has rock bottom chains and Barley and Hops is one in Frederick the OP didn't mention. Also, what DC lacks in Breweries, they do have a decent amount of restaurants/bars that provide a solid beer list: Biergarten Haus, Bier Baron, RFD, Churchkey etc.

So I would respectfully disagree that
That is about all that the DC area has that is good for beer plus

I will note that things have expanded the past 5-10 years. Port city started in the past like 6 months i think.

I will agree that Frederick is Great! And I am glad they have the beer presence that they do. Having breweries in local cities is great! I will probably try and visit this new place in Frederick, thanks for the heads up Fusorfodder

Spent most of '09 there. Check out Barley and Hops too for a brewpub. That was my local hangout when I was there.

I'm a Frederick resident myself. Haven't heard of this place, but I'll be checking it out real soon. Thanks!

Yea I just was speaking of Breweries in the DC metro. I did forget Old Dominion and the few times I did have it, I really enjoyed their beer. Baltimore does have a few good places too.

Ah, Mclean. Lived there for about a year. I actually still go back to Vienna/Tysons a lot for work and recently got lost because of all the new construction. But that is how most of the DC metro area is. Expand as fast as possible to support all the transplants.

I feel ya about not being able to move. As much as people want to complain about rough economic times, DC metro never really had that problem. You just don't understand how bad it is until you move to a different area. Thankfully my job is still in DC, but I can live wherever i want :rockin:

Next time I'm down, I'll have to check out Port City

I grew up in Dundalk, went to Dundalk Community College / Essex CC & Towson State for undergrad, and finished up my degree at Shenandoah U. in Winchester, VA.... I worked in Frederick while going to college and lived in Columbia for a few years after graduating.

Since then, I lived in Colorado for a few years and now I'm stuck in Chicago of all places.

I bored you with my history because I MISS MARYLAND!! Colorado was really great in it's own way, but there is absolutely no redeeming value for Illinois. It sux, period. Whenever I travel back to maryland and come through Frederick on 70 on my way into Baltimore, I roll down the car windows and just enjoy the smell of the mountains.

Don't discount what you have! There's something special about the east coast that you'll sorely miss. Some of my most memorable mountain biking is there, too...

I was pleasantly surprised to find some good places there in Frederick as I began working there from time to time. Happy hour at champions for flying dog, brewers alley, barley and hops, flying dog, and dfh in gaithersburg all keep me happy when I'm in town!

There is a new alehouse opening up soon on the grounds of FSK Mall, right across from Olive Garden. Not sure if they will be brewing their own or "importing" everything, but it seems like it could be a cool place to grab a few....once it opens of course.

Old Ox Brewery opening up in Ashburn on same road Old Dominion used to be on

former Flying Dog brewer recently opened up a contract brewery in Sterling

Mellow Mushroom in Herndon with 30 taps. DelMarVa in Sterling has 50 taps + 1 on cask last time I was there. Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Ashburn with 32 taps, more than a few local.

then there's Lost Rhino & Sweetwater Cafe.

plenty of good beer here in LoCoVA

Looks like that's gonna be a BJ's Restaurant & Brewery. They're a west coast chain, IIRC, I'd imagine they're gonna brew in Frederick. That'll be nice to have another brewpub in the area, too bad I don't live close to Frederick anymore.

http://frederickmarylandonline.com/2013/05/28/bjs-restaurant-brewery-coming-fsk-mall/

We just visited BJ's and had some great beer and food. The only thing they brew onsite is their Rootbeer. Looks like some of the other brewpubs in the area better step up their game. This place has a very wide variety from low gravity on up to imperials! They also had a nice bottle menu.

:mug:

For those who haven't heard, there's a nice BBQ and beer event coming up at the fairgrounds in May. It looks like there is also a homebrew competition for those that might be interested.

Back