What tool/device/gadget do you wish you could find for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickdrawbrew

Reaction score
What desperately needs to be invented? I'm part brewer, part inventor and I could use the opinions of other brewers for this one. Is there something you wish existed or search for that just isn't on the market? How about something that does exist, but just sucks - do you wish there was a better one to choose from?

I want an 8 gallon stainless steel brew pot, with a sealable lid. That way I could boil, chill, pitch the yeast, and then seal up the brew pot and ferment. I want two of them so that I can do two 5 gallon boils at the same time.

One step eliminated from the brew day.

I want all the nuts on my valves and dip tubes to be big wing nuts.

No more 7/8" wrenches to remove the valves and the dip tubes inside my keggles. Just hand tighten with the wing nuts.

(I'm thinking of getting a welder for this).

I think there should be a better and simpler valve.

I think it would be possible to make a valve where you could just remove the end, and then be able to clean out the whole valve with a pipe cleaner. You could do it without removing the valve body from the kettle.

(dont laugh at the drawing, I made it with MS Paint, while typing up the post)

Better valve.jpg

I think there should be a better and simpler valve.

I think it would be possible to make a valve where you could just remove the end, and then be able to clean out the whole valve with a pipe cleaner. You could do it without removing the valve body from the kettle.

(dont laugh at the drawing, I made it with MS Paint, while typing up the post)

You can easily clean the 3 piece ball valves now. Plus, it's easier to open them than what you drew up (assuming you have to turn the handle multiple times to open/close it). IME, I want to be able to close the ball valve, or any valve for brewing, fast. As in under a second from grabbing the handle to the valve is closed.

Personally, I've not come across anything (in some time) that I could really use that either isn't already available or I cannot make myself.

BTW, Grossy, why do you want all 'wing nuts'?? I've not wrenched down the compression nuts inside the boil keggle or mash tun keggle in some time. I find that finger tight (for me at least) is more than enough to do the job. in the MLT, the dip tube has the [stainless steel] ferrules attached properly, so they won't move. Hand tight is more than enough to keep that connected for the mash. For the BK, I have a delrin ferrule on that dip tube. Also more than good with being hand tight. IF these were under pressure (and outside the keggles) I would probably wrench them down. Actually, all the fittings that hot wort runs through (or from the keggle/mash tun keg) are wrenched down so that they seal 100%. But, that's completely different.

You can easily clean the 3 piece ball valves now. Plus, it's easier to open them than what you drew up (assuming you have to turn the handle multiple times to open/close it). IME, I want to be able to close the ball valve, or any valve for brewing, fast. As in under a second from grabbing the handle to the valve is closed.

Personally, I've not come across anything (in some time) that I could really use that either isn't already available or I cannot make myself.

BTW, Grossy, why do you want all 'wing nuts'?? I've not wrenched down the compression nuts inside the boil keggle or mash tun keggle in some time. I find that finger tight (for me at least) is more than enough to do the job. in the MLT, the dip tube has the [stainless steel] ferrules attached properly, so they won't move. Hand tight is more than enough to keep that connected for the mash. For the BK, I have a delrin ferrule on that dip tube. Also more than good with being hand tight. IF these were under pressure (and outside the keggles) I would probably wrench them down. Actually, all the fittings that hot wort runs through (or from the keggle/mash tun keg) are wrenched down so that they seal 100%. But, that's completely different.

You make a good point abut about quickly shutting the valve off. But unscrewing four nuts and bolts with lock washers is not quick. Also all the parts of the valve have to be cleaned. The washers are not heat resistant.

Screwing down hand tight can work, but if it is not tight enough it can bleed air, leaving wort behind. Wing nuts are an easy solution to that.

I have found that there is nothing in the mechanics of brewing that is hard. It's just a lot of stuff to do. I call it a death by a thousand paper cuts.

I'm just trying to eliminate a few of those paper cuts.

Not had any issue using the one in my keggle, with just finger tight. I'm talking about as tight as you can get by hand, not just snug. I'll check the mash tun one next time to make sure it's not leaving more behind than it should. Don't think it is, but will double check that one.

BTW, -1 on the kettle as a fermenter. IMO, that would get REALLY expensive fast. Plus, you're limited to the number of kettles you can store (for batches)... I have three beer fermenting vessels for my normal batches, plus one more for bigger batches (up to about 12.5 gallons in a 50L keg fermenter). It's far easier to store three tall 1/4 barrel kegs than three keggles.

Not had any issue using the one in my keggle, with just finger tight. I'm talking about as tight as you can get by hand, not just snug. I'll check the mash tun one next time to make sure it's not leaving more behind than it should. Don't think it is, but will double check that one.

BTW, -1 on the kettle as a fermenter. IMO, that would get REALLY expensive fast. Plus, you're limited to the number of kettles you can store (for batches)... I have three beer fermenting vessels for my normal batches, plus one more for bigger batches (up to about 12.5 gallons in a 50L keg fermenter). It's far easier to store three tall 1/4 barrel kegs than three keggles.
I dont see why. I have 4x 7.5 gallon ale pales now. All four fit into my fermentation chamber just fine. I brew 10 gallon batches, about every 3-4 weeks. If the fermentor/kettle cost $200 each that's $800.00.

There are people on this board buying 3x 20 gallon kettles all the time: $1000 when you throw in the valves.

Bought over time, thats very possible to do. It's just a 8 gallon pot, a lid and a drum ring clamp. No valve needed. I have already found one, but it is 8 gallon milk can, so the lid is only 8" across, $170.00.

This is something that I would like to have.

You make a good point abut about quickly shutting the valve off. But unscrewing four nuts and bolts with lock washers is not quick. Also all the parts of the valve have to be cleaned. The washers are not heat resistant.

Wait, what?? The items inside the ball valve are able to [easily] withstand boiling temps, and then some. The 3 piece stainless valves have Teflon (PTFE) parts inside.

Also, you take the thing apart AFTER you're done brewing, WHEN it needs to be cleaned completely. I normally just give it a good soak in PBW solution. Squeaky clean that way, with almost zero effort (my keggle ball valve uses a TC connection to the keggle). Otherwise, cleaning is easily done via a beer faucet brush (cheap and easily obtained).

I have found that there is nothing in the mechanics of brewing that is hard. It's just a lot of stuff to do. I call it a death by a thousand paper cuts.

I'm just trying to eliminate a few of those paper cuts.

IMO, trying to cut corners can very often result in more issues than not doing so. IMO, trying to brew/boil and then ferment in the exact same vessel is one such case. It's fine IF it's working for you, but there's no way I'll do it. IMO/IME, trying to store 3-4 (or more) 8-15 gallon kettle fermenters is not a wise thing.

Do what you like, but I don't see using the BK as a fermenting vessel, too, as a good idea. Or even a practical thing to do. I'm normally getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenting vessel. In a 15.5 gallon keggle, that would be far too much headspace. Besides, I'd rather have the kegs as dedicated items than try to MM one into trying to do both brew and ferment.

You might think you're avoiding "thousand paper cuts"... Instead, you're playing Russian roulette with your batches. So trading paper for a live chamber... :drunk:

Hmmmm..... A good tech device to add?
What about an 8 gallon cooler for a fermentation bucket, with heat and cooling in it so you can set your fermentation temp and let it go. Needs to be able to cool to lagering temperatures though.
I've never done a lager, but with one of those I might!

Wait, what?? The items inside the ball valve are able to [easily] withstand boiling temps, and then some. The 3 piece stainless valves have Teflon (PTFE) parts inside.

Also, you take the thing apart AFTER you're done brewing, WHEN it needs to be cleaned completely. I normally just give it a good soak in PBW solution. Squeaky clean that way, with almost zero effort (my keggle ball valve uses a TC connection to the keggle). Otherwise, cleaning is easily done via a beer faucet brush (cheap and easily obtained).

IMO, trying to cut corners can very often result in more issues than not doing so. IMO, trying to brew/boil and then ferment in the exact same vessel is one such case. It's fine IF it's working for you, but there's no way I'll do it. IMO/IME, trying to store 3-4 (or more) 8-15 gallon kettle fermenters is not a wise thing.

Do what you like, but I don't see using the BK as a fermenting vessel, too, as a good idea. Or even a practical thing to do. I'm normally getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenting vessel. In a 15.5 gallon keggle, that would be far too much headspace. Besides, I'd rather have the kegs as dedicated items than try to MM one into trying to do both brew and ferment.

You might think you're avoiding "thousand paper cuts"... Instead, you're playing Russian roulette with your batches. So trading paper for a live chamber... :drunk:
I dont know why you arguing with me. Golddiggie, the intent of this thread was to kick ideas around.

Why do people buy heat shield for their valves. Here is why,Melted three piece valve . Melting point of silicone: around 1000 degrees.

I never said I was cutting corners, just looking for new ways to do things. Do you think that we always used plate chillers, pumps, three piece valves, ect.. all of those are new ideas. Those ideas came about most likely because someone said hey what about doing this, and tried it.

One pot brewing is not a new idea.

Playing Russian roulette? We are brewing beer. I wonder if someone said that when they dreamed up the idea of fermenting in an old sanke keg?

" I'm normally getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenting vessel. In a 15.5 gallon keggle, that would be far too much headspace."
My original post said, 8 gallon pot, with 5 gallons fermenting in it. Just imaging a stainless steel 7.5 gallon ale pale.

Here is my fermentation chamber, I dont know why it is not wise to store 4 fermentors at the same time, but I will look into it: (I dont bottle anymore, so now all four of my ale pales fit in there just fine.
5194-4679.jpg

Some kind of stand for the top of a kettle when lautering BIAB 3 gallon batches. A strainer works fine but I'm sure there is some way to make it more efficient

I've found that if you say " I like a cold beer after work on Fridays" you will get someone on here to tell you five reasons you are wrong simply because they think the best beer is on Saturday.

Ignore and move on.

You'll have to define "cold" and qualify if this is during NFL season or not before I can mount an argument.

I want a single post on a base that is tall enough to invert my glass carboy over for drying. If this is already available, point me in that direction. If the post could be hollow with air holes to permit hooking up a blow dryer for quicker drying, even better.

I want a single post on a base that is tall enough to invert my glass carboy over for drying. If this is already available, point me in that direction. If the post could be hollow with air holes to permit hooking up a blow dryer for quicker drying, even better.

What about a carboy dryer? It's the same idea, being able to invert the carboy so that it'll dry more easily.

image_397.jpg

a collapsible or folding 2-3 tier brew stand. made out of something light enough to carry or transport around but sturdy enough to hold a full keggle.

This is not an invention, but if someone could produce NEW 5 gallon ball-lock corny kegs that only cost about $30, that would be amazing! I think they could make a ton of money especially if they made them in the US.

worxman02 said:
This is not an invention, but if someone could produce NEW 5 gallon ball-lock corny kegs that only cost about $30, that would be amazing! I think they could make a ton of money especially if they made them in the US.

Sorry for hijacking but didn't want to start a new thread for this. Does anyone know if a keg supplier would give better deals than 50 a keg if we did a group buy. Maybe not new kegs for 30 but if we buy enough used maybe they will drop price?

Sorry for hijacking but didn't want to start a new thread for this. Does anyone know if a keg supplier would give better deals than 50 a keg if we did a group buy. Maybe not new kegs for 30 but if we buy enough used maybe they will drop price?

Yes there is a keg supplier down in florida that will ship pallets of used kegs for somewhere around that price. There is a thread on here about it. It would just be nice to not have to spend hours searching for a decent deal on kegs. I miss the days of $20 kegs. I should have bought more back then, if I only knew!
[/Hijack]

A few years ago, I would have wagered that we'd have seen plastic kegs introduced to the homebrew market with Corny fittings. Still might happen, but there have been some major issues with plastic kegs in commercial operations (kegs that have failed under pressure and killed at least one brewery worker). There's still enough old SS ones floating around where we're probably a few years away from anything coming to market, though.

7.5 gallon fermenting bucket (for 5 gallon batches) with a lid that has a hinged clear plastic flap resting on a silicon gasket.

1. No need for an airlock as it would be hard to have a blowout in a bucket that size unless using C4 instead of yeast.

2. Clear flap allows easy way to get a sample without opening the fermenter, lets CO2 escape and allows viewing to see if mushrooms are growing.

Easy to make and not expensive.

bosco

A few years ago, I would have wagered that we'd have seen plastic kegs introduced to the homebrew market with Corny fittings. Still might happen, but there have been some major issues with plastic kegs in commercial operations (kegs that have failed under pressure and killed at least one brewery worker). There's still enough old SS ones floating around where we're probably a few years away from anything coming to market, though.

Yea I've seen some plastic sanke style kegs in some bars. I want SS corny kegs for $30 new. I know I'm dreaming though.

How about a hydrometer that only needs a small sample to work, gives a digital readout so you don't have to worry about bubbles, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I think that would be a great invention as you could use it like a refractometer to measure gravity throughout your mash and then take small samples during ferment.

worxman02 said:
Yea I've seen some plastic sanke style kegs in some bars. I want SS corny kegs for $30 new. I know I'm dreaming though.

How about a hydrometer that only needs a small sample to work, gives a digital readout so you don't have to worry about bubbles, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I think that would be a great invention as you could use it like a refractometer to measure gravity throughout your mash and then take small samples during ferment.

I have used a hand held densitometer as you describe, and they are very handy. I have no idea how expensive it was, but we used it at the ethanol plant I worked at and it was pretty accurate.

I just want a hot little brew blonde.
she can weight hop additions, track time for said additions, check temperatures and generally keep me entertained.

Must be cheap. Cheap blonde brew buddy.

Yeah... a few more boobs around the fermentor would be nice. I would like someone to invent the Stainless or copper autosiphon that works with boiling wort for all the no chillers out there. I now have a chiller, but the option to transfer (safely) via metal autosiphon is alluring and I think there is a market for a durable autosiphon. Good luck though, others have tried and failed.... (you know who you are.....)

I'd like a hard plastic hydrometer. The digital hydrometer would be amazing, the only one I've heard of under 200 is the enigmatic brew bug.

I'd also like a cooling system where you insert copper tubing into the fermentor, pump water through a chiller, and insulate your fermentor. I'd be even better if you could have it be modular so you could add more to the system as needed. Probably a better diy project.

:)So my wife says Necessity is the Mother of Invention.. Been looking for a way to invert a carboy for drying, and got a great suggestion on this thread. Then when I was cleaning up our laundry room I found a large nylon net bag with draw string. It was just the right size for my carboy which is now hanging from a hook over a plastic utility sink in the basement, dripping dry.

Hosen Hausen Brewery LLC
Now Available in bottles:
Chocolate Santa Porter
Juniors Maypole Porter

What tool/device/gadget do you wish you could find for brewing?

Time machine. That way immediately after brewing a beer I can go forward in time, steal the finished beer from future me, bring it back and drink it instantly. How bout it science??? I mean really....what other practical applications would a time machine have?

Back