High Primary Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradjoiner

Reaction score
This weekend I got a sanke keg from a garage sale for $20. I was to impatient to wait until the weather cooled down to ferment, and my fermentation chamber is full. So I brewed up 14 gallons of Belgian Golden Strong Ale and threw them in the sanke with the yeast cake from my consecration clone. (Abbey Ale and Roselare) Well now fermentation is at 82 degrees. This is the first time temps have gotten this high and I could use a little encouragement that this beer is going to be fine about a year and a half from now. I am planning to use this as a solara. How do you barrel guys keep ferm temps under raps, or do you only primary in carboys or during the winter months. I will make sure next fill will be already primary fermented before i refill.

i accidentally pitched a sour starter @100F (meant to add lacto :drunk:) into a petite saison and left it at room temp back in march. i took a sample 2 months ago and surprisingly there wasn't any off-flavors (sadly not much sour either but had only been 3 months). mine was much smaller than yours, but id expect no problems

I would be concerned about fusels at those temperatures. Sour solvent doesn't sound great.

I usually let my sours ride at ambient but ambient in my house isn't that warm.

Back