protein rest for white wheat malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casper0074

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a wit recipe with white wheat malt and I've read that a protein rest is recommended for this malt. Problem is I'm using a 5 gallon cooler for my mash, making it difficult to do multi-temp mashes. Is this really helpful? If so, is it possible to do this protein rest seperate from the rest of my grain "pre-mash"?

I never do one with my wit, last time I got 80% efficiency and the beer comes out crystal clear. I would not worry about it.

casper0074 said:
I'm getting ready to brew a wit recipe with white wheat malt and I've read that a protein rest is recommended for this malt. Problem is I'm using a 5 gallon cooler for my mash, making it difficult to do multi-temp mashes. Is this really helpful? If so, is it possible to do this protein rest seperate from the rest of my grain "pre-mash"?
As it's technically a wheat beer, I wouldn't worry about it. I never do a protein rest for my Blue Balls (Wit that is) and I use 50% flaked wheat.

For what malt, its less of an issue. I'd reccomend the protein rest for unmalted wheat (flaked or otherwise), but wheat malt is fairly well modified at this point.

-D

casper0074 said:
Does the protein rest do anything other than improve efficiency?

If used on well modified malts, it can break down proteins and give a thinner beer with poor head retention.

Latest posts

Back