Clean and Sanitize Racking Cane and Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read through several threads on this subject - the majority seem to run sanitizer through the cane and tube either by pumping or siphoning. But it sure seems like the connection between the cane and tube makes a crevise that would trap nasties. I tried to remove the tube to get a better cleaning, but it's a 5/16" tube over a 5/16" cane (interference fit) and they don't want to separate. Any thoughts on needing to separate these parts for cleaning?

I just did this today... soaked the whole assembly in a hot oxyclean solution, (mine has the cap on the bottom to elevate the intake area above the trub, I took that off) and it looked brand new when I was done. The hose was even less stained. Then I did the Starsan thing.

Yeah, it can be hard to remove tubing sometimes. Easiest way is to heat it up a bit - put in hot water for a few minutes, and the tube will pull off easily. Otherwise, grab the tube with a pair of pliers and yank and twist it off. If you have a plastic cane - be careful you don't break it.

Umm...okay, and when you break the cane using the "yank and twist" method, don't throw the remains away. When you eventually get into using pure oxygen you can make a wicked cheap but very effective oxygenation rod with it.

Otherwise...just run the hose under hot faucet water for 30 seconds or so and you should be able to carefully wiggle it off...

Cheers!

Of course your wife's hair drier works even better. A quick blast of heat and it just comes off.

From these posts, it looks like the tube really should be removed for cleaning, as I suspected. Interesting, though, that several other threads had more discussion about cleaning without removing the tube. I'll try the hot water or hair drier method. Thanks.

I definitely don't take the tube off the end of the cane for cleaning.

Before racking, I have a 5G bucket filled with maybe 1G of starsan, siphon starsan up and into the same bucket...I try to get everything soaked in starsan by either dipping it in the bucket or spraying with a spray bottle. Then I go to racking.

When storing, I rinse it out with water and hang the hose/cane portion up to drip dry.

Something someone mentioned once for removing stuck tubing, which I've found helpful, is to heat it under hot water, as was already mentioned here. Then to give it a bit of a push further on, that'll unstick it and let you pull it off. Works every time, and no broken canes :)

I experimented and found a set-up that I like. The racking cane is 5/16" ID, 3/8" OD. I was using 5/16" ID tubing, and it was an extremely tight fit. On an old racking cane (same size), I tried a 3/8" ID tube, which leaked a little. Put a cable tie around the connection and pulled it snug - no leak. Cut off the cable tie and the tube pulls off easily.

I always rinse mine well right after use and then wash with hot soapy water and rinse. I remove the tubing each time from the racking cane. Let it all air dry until next brew session. then sanitize with star san right before using.

I always rinse mine well right after use and then wash with hot soapy water and rinse. I remove the tubing each time from the racking cane. Let it all air dry until next brew session. then sanitize with star san right before using.

How do you wash the inside - just slosh the soapy water back and forth in it?

I remove the hose at the end of each brew. Lately it's been a pain, so I've ended up cutting an inch or so off and slitting it up the side to get the little piece to come off.

For sanitizing, I first fill a bucket with some hot water and siphon that into the sink to clean junk out of the tube. I then siphon some sanitizer through it, from one container to another, and then take it off. Before use, I do the same thing, then spray sanitizer over the mating surfaces before attaching the hose to the cane.

It's a bit of a pain, but I think it's more sanitary, and it's easier to store the cane and hose separately.

After warming the connection with hot water, I push the hose off the cane rather than trying to pull it off. I've never broken a racking or replaced a hose because it got too short. Pulling on the hose has the same effect as trying to get your fingers out of one of those woven finger traps.

Back