Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
How long is it recommended to keep the blow off tube on? I had to use one for the first time because I made a liter starter for a hefe using wyeast 3068. I aerated well and had a huge mess the next day. I put the blow off tube on for a day, and it looked like I would be fine putting an airlock back on the following day. I came home to another mess the third day. I've had the tube on for about two days now. Will the krausen in the tube effect my finished product? Should I leave the tube on or put the airlock back on? How long do you typically leave your tube on?

I just leave the blow-off tube on until the end. It's just a different version of an airlock... no worries

After the bubbling settles down in three or four days. Like Rosier9 said, you can leave it in until the end, but I have a youngster and a dog.

MacGruber said:
How long is it recommended to keep the blow off tube on? I had to use one for the first time because I made a liter starter for a hefe using wyeast 3068. I aerated well and had a huge mess the next day. I put the blow off tube on for a day, and it looked like I would be fine putting an airlock back on the following day. I came home to another mess the third day. I've had the tube on for about two days now. Will the krausen in the tube effect my finished product? Should I leave the tube on or put the airlock back on? How long do you typically leave your tube on?

It's fine to leave it on the whole time or you can switch it to an airlock after a week or so and should be fine. Ive only got enough tubing for two blow offs so I usually switch one or both to airlocks to free up tubing for my siphon or a blow off for a new batch.

Thanks for the advice. I have a tube dedicated to simply be the blow off tube. I think I'll just leave it on. This thing is still going crazy. This is the most aggressive ferment that I've ever had and it's at 66 degrees F. I did a decoction mash - 122 rest for 30 minutes then decocted and raised the main mash to 154 for 60 minutes = 90 minute total mash. I cooled really quickly, had a great cold break, and collected about 5.5 gal of wort. I only have a 6 gallon carboy, so it was pretty full. I'm really anxious to see how this turns out! I've had such bad luck with my first two hefes, but they were extracts and it was about two years ago. This was AG and I've learned that my previous fermentations were done at temps that were too high.

Back